OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Can it be fixed?

Started by 2flyfish4, June 09, 2022, 11:51:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

2flyfish4

I wish this site had the option to post a poll. But a few post lately makes me want to ask this question.

Do you think we can reverse the declining turkey populations?

To me this is a yes or no response. There are plenty of threads about what we can do or needs to be done and so in.

My answer is no. Primarily because money will always rule the world and there is either. A) the timber and land will always be needed for homes and businesses and economic reasons. Or B) there is not enough money to make the changes for the turkey to be successful. And the money used towards turkey can bring 10x the return if used in reason A.

guesswho

I say yes.  I'm always an optimist who has to be proven wrong.   I think if we get enough stars to line up at the same time populations can rebound.  But it's like being stuck in the mud, once you start to make progress don't take your foot of the pedal.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

ChesterCopperpot

It was fixed before with much worse numbers than now. Question is, how much is it worth and are states willing to invest to preserve the resource?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

arkrem870

When it was fixed predator numbers were low from increased fur prices. 

GobbleNut

Quote from: 2flyfish4 on June 09, 2022, 11:51:14 AM
My answer is no. Primarily because money will always rule the world and there is either. A) the timber and land will always be needed for homes and businesses and economic reasons. Or B) there is not enough money to make the changes for the turkey to be successful. And the money used towards turkey can bring 10x the return if used in reason A.

Yeah, declining wild turkey numbers could be reversed,....but it will take a wide-ranging attitude adjustment from a whole lot of people,....hunters and non-hunters alike.  Will that happen?  Put me squarely in the "skeptic" column...

zelmo1

x2 GNUT. People are morre unforgiving now than ever. No middle ground anymore. Both ends are increasing and inflexible.

Greg Massey

Yes, it can be fixed ... IMO

WV Flopper

fallhnt

Yes

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Zobo

I think yes also because the situation is not too far gone yet. But it couldn't hurt to start thinking about and valuing turkeys like we do big game. You wouldn't travel around the country shooting 12 bears or moose every year.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

crow

Quote from: GobbleNut on June 09, 2022, 12:32:18 PM
Quote from: 2flyfish4 on June 09, 2022, 11:51:14 AM

Yeah, declining wild turkey numbers could be reversed,....but it will take a wide-ranging attitude adjustment from a whole lot of people,....hunters and non-hunters alike.  Will that happen?  Put me squarely in the "skeptic" column...

Did we give up when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor,
No, we dug in, sacrificed and stuck it out

Wigsplitter

yes -but it's gonna take some sacrifice for the hunters in limits and season length not that I think this is the cause of decline but this will come along with other measures as we try to turn the curve upward

Shiloh

Nothing there to fix.  This is typical long term game fluctuations.  They will go down and they will come up.  Nobody knows how long it will take.  Can't control Mother Nature. 

Gooserbat

There's a difference between fixing and influencing.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Turkeybutt