OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Can it be fixed?  (Read 2009 times)

Offline Happy

• Limbhanger
Re: Can it be fixed?
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2022, 06:51:32 AM »
Do you think we can reverse the declining turkey populations?
My answer is no. Primarily because money will always rule the world and there is either. A) the timber and land will always be needed for homes and businesses and economic reasons. Or B) there is not enough money to make the changes for the turkey to be successful. And the money used towards turkey can bring 10x the return if used in reason A.

Yeah, declining wild turkey numbers could be reversed,....but it will take a wide-ranging attitude adjustment from a whole lot of people,....hunters and non-hunters alike.  Will that happen?  Put me squarely in the "skeptic" column...

Did we give up when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor,
No, we dug in, sacrificed and stuck it out
I see what you did there.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline Roost 1

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2022, 07:12:44 AM »
Yes……but todays turkey hunter won’t like the sacrifice required.

Offline Ctate94

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2022, 12:05:09 PM »
Yes……but todays turkey hunter won’t like the sacrifice required.
Agreed with that. I wonder how much trapping would contribute with the other parts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline BBR12

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2022, 12:53:25 PM »
No. I’m not saying that turkeys are gone. There are places that they will do fine for decades to come.
However the large scale change of the landscape and population expansion will not allow the turkeys to be like they once were. I saw a stat a while back not gonna say it is dead on but the stat was that 6000 acres per day are lost to expansion. I’ve hunted in 40+ states and it is almost everywhere that they are expanding and converting habitat into apartments, gas stations, etc,etc.
Couple this with the fact that MOST landowners are only worried about the $$$$ and don’t give a rats butt about turkey/wildlife habitat. I see it almost everywhere I go but especially in the south large  blocks of hardwoods being converted into short rotation pines. Turkeys can survive in an area where it is mostly pines but not in the numbers they do when they have a good balance of habitat. Also on habitat you see more and more farmers clearing ditch banks, cutting the few acres of woods around a field, etc, etc to expand there tillable ground.  I understand it but again more and more habitat lost.
We are repeating history from the 1800’s when we removed the suitable habitat for many soecies.

Offline ol bob

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2022, 01:34:58 PM »
As soon as the majority sees that humans, can't do as much damage in 30 days, as the predators do 24 hours a day 365 days a year things will start to get better, until that point.   No

Conch

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2022, 02:03:11 PM »
No. Too many "kill at all cost, social media heroes, and not enough traditional "Turkey Hunters" left in the ranks. With that said, there will always be huntable populations in certain pockets around the country. For those Turkey Hunters, who are not concerned with hearing 50/11 Turkeys gobble every morning like they did back in 1997, there will always be a Gobbler or two to yelp up in these certain pockets, Spring and Fall ;)