OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Rude Mountain Bikers-- Turkeys On Full Alert...  (Read 4265 times)

Online Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: Rude Mountain Bikers-- Turkeys On Full Alert...
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2022, 07:59:11 PM »
Maybe instead of OLD GOBBLER name it OLD GEEZER and we may chip in.   :turkey2:
   :TooFunny:  Yes ... Old Gobbler the Geezer  :TooFunny:

Offline greencop01

• Longbeard
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2022, 03:11:23 PM »
Electric bikes are the only way some turkey hunters can get 'out there' to hunt. We get 'old' have bad legs or feet and can't get out there. If not for electric bikes they can't get out there. Some day it may be you and you'll be  complaining and you'll be the first to say we need to have access for electric bikes. Public lands mean just that open to the public, all public.
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

Offline g8rvet

• Double Beard
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2022, 05:43:33 PM »
I am planning on hunting in my Little Rascal.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Offline silvestris

• Longbeard
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2022, 10:22:59 PM »
Electric bikes are the only way some turkey hunters can get 'out there' to hunt. We get 'old' have bad legs or feet and can't get out there. If not for electric bikes they can't get out there. Some day it may be you and you'll be  complaining and you'll be the first to say we need to have access for electric bikes. Public lands mean just that open to the public, all public.

Age, if lucky, will eventually catch up with everyone.  I too was guilty of failing to recognize the impediments of the elderly.  Age brings it all into clear focus.  If the vehicle is noiseless, I am fine with it.  No gasoline vehicles; noiseless is a virtue; I can get more than enough noise in my everyday life.
“[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer.”  Ken Morgan, “Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Offline joey46

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2022, 04:43:37 AM »
I'm 75+ so don't want to hear it.  Walk In Areas should be walk in not ride in. Maybe start calling these trails "sorta walk in", " could be walk in".  Again those walking in the big Florida WMAs are often now being passed in the dark by e bikers riding up behind them on " walk in" trails.  Seems to be little enforcement.  The truly disabled are of course accommodated. :OGturkeyhead:

Post #7 in this thread nails it btw.  When planning my just completed trip out west a tip I often heard was go before they open the NF trails to the bikers.  Went in early May and missed that circus.  Sorry to hear that mid May date isn't being enforced either.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2022, 06:15:45 AM by joey46 »

Offline Happy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2022, 06:31:44 AM »
I am all for their use for the truly physically handicapped. However I work pretty darned hard to to stay in good physical shape and hunt areas that take some effort to get to. I am not a fan of two ton Tony zipping by me eating a cheese pizza just because he bought an electric bike. I guess I am just old school and still believe in earning things. Hopefully I will get old one day and then i will not be able to do it. It's gonna suck but I intend to keep it up as long as I can.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2022, 09:28:38 AM »
I am all for their use for the truly physically handicapped. However I work pretty darned hard to to stay in good physical shape and hunt areas that take some effort to get to. I am not a fan of two ton Tony zipping by me eating a cheese pizza just because he bought an electric bike. I guess I am just old school and still believe in earning things. Hopefully I will get old one day and then i will not be able to do it. It's gonna suck but I intend to keep it up as long as I can.

:TooFunny: :TooFunny:  Personally, I prefer pepperoni on my pizza while riding past you.   ;D

Your point is well taken, though.  There are instances where the use of "devices" to aid folks with certain physical limitations is justified,...and there are situations where they are not.  As is often the case, a little common sense goes a long ways in determining which is which.  ...The problem apparently is finding a few folks that have it...  :toothy12:

Offline guesswho

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Gobbler Goober
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2022, 02:51:24 PM »
I get a lot of compliments on my the way my hair shines and flows in the wind from under my camo bike helmet while I’m riding my ebike on public land.  And then there are some who are just plain jealous and say ugly things like a mam in as good a shape as me has no business riding an ebike.   I just smile and give them the turkey finger so they know I’m going hunting. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Offline joey46

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2022, 07:14:01 PM »
I get a lot of compliments on my the way my hair shines and flows in the wind from under my camo bike helmet while I’m riding my ebike on public land.  And then there are some who are just plain jealous and say ugly things like a mam in as good a shape as me has no business riding an ebike.   I just smile and give them the turkey finger so they know I’m going hunting. 
Probably say a "mam" because they think you are a big pxxxy.  Spell check seemed to have let you down. Oops.
I'm sure there are predawn skirmishes to look forward to when an e biker buzzes by someone already walking in on a narrow foot trail.  Rumored there were a few last spring in Big Cypress (south Florida) but they were unconfirmed.  The pleasures of public land.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2022, 07:25:54 PM by joey46 »

Offline Happy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2022, 07:54:33 PM »
after I throw a rock in the pond, you have to go find a bigger one to throw in don't you?

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline guesswho

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Gobbler Goober
« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2022, 08:05:29 PM »
I can’t  :help: myself.   :D
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Offline crow

• Double Beard
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2022, 10:48:04 AM »
I thought I broke my furcula that time I ran into those DSD decoys,
just glad nobody was in the double bull blind when my E-bike finally stopped

Offline joey46

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2022, 12:24:11 PM »
Maybe you e bikers could start a training course in TN at the South Cherokee NF next season.  A few of those local boys (one in particular) would love to greet you if you passed him on a trail.  Only half joking.  Wait for a few "incidents" next year.  Too many post in several venues are starting to mention the e bike situation, or what some hot heads may consider a e bike problem.  Several questions keep popping up such as do they have run flat tires?  Alarm systems? etc.  Matter of time.  Don't want to keep looking over my shoulder or worry about chaining a $4000 plus motorized conveyance to a tree wondering if it will be driveable when I returned.  I'll stick with the legs and boots.  This has now entered the  :TrainWreck1: and  :deadhorse: category but always happy to play

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2022, 12:32:10 PM »
I thought I broke my furcula that time I ran into those DSD decoys,
just glad nobody was in the double bull blind when my E-bike finally stopped

Your furcula was obviously dried out if you broke it.  Your problem is that you don't drink enough.   :toothy12:
Question:  If you break your furcula while riding your E-bike, what does that make you? 
Answer:  Bi-furcate   :toothy9:

...Boy, we are going downhill fast since the season ended...   :D ;D

Offline crow

• Double Beard
« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2022, 01:07:47 PM »
 They call me the Electric Horseman