News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Turkey Beard Preservation in Shadow Box

Started by Shiloh, June 06, 2022, 04:43:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: Shiloh on June 07, 2022, 07:49:59 AM
I have had problems getting the beards to fit into a 20ga hull.   
I already have these shadow boxes done

Once I started shooting birds with a 20 ga, I experienced that same problem with my gobblers with larger beards. But I've been able to make them all squeeze in... so far.
I'm not familiar with your shadow box construction technique. Is there not any way to seal up the shadow box seams really tight to keep the bugs out? Like caulking the seams?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

MO_HUNTER

I spray all my beards with hairspray. My taxidermist told me about it years ago. Never had a bug issue.

hootgobbleyelpgobble

The last 10 years I have started saving the hull I killed the bird with. Trim it down to where maybe a inch or so is left of the plastic. That allows for more flexibility on the larger beards.

I take the beard off while I am skinning the bird out and trim all the meat off until it is just a slight bit of skin left holding the beard intact then dipping in borax. Then it goes in the freezer until a later date when I do all the beards from the spring season at one.

Next when I have time, I hot glue the beard into a hull with a leather knot inside the brass it holding the spurs from the same bird above the hull.

Have not had a problem yet but I take the spurs down to bare bone and the beard down to the slightest bit of skin. 

Turkeyman

As RutnNStrut just hold the beard tight at the base and tear off like a sheet of paper. I accidentally discovered that many years ago when I was just "testing" how tightly it was held on. The ONLY instance where you would cut it off is multiple beards.

Here's one rack the way I do it. Includes spurs plus I write the state and date on the brass.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Turkeyman

Can't get to post...try again.

Tommy Strutsalot

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on June 06, 2022, 11:36:39 PM
I pull the beard out of the skin. It's held together by gristle like material. Then I cut off the plastic hull of the shotshell I killed the gobbler with, and hot glue the beard's base into the brass. Then I drill a hole in the primer for a screw eye, and hang my beards in groups all around my man cave. Due to no meat on the beard, the base of the beard encased in hot glue in the brass, and hanging by a string, bugs are not an issue.
Here's a picture of one of the groups of hanging beards.

I do almost the exact same thing, except I usually bash my finger using a hammer and small screwdriver to remove the primer.  Then I weave the leather strap through and tie a knot before adding hot glue, then I just hang it on a hook. Your way is better.   

3bailey3

West Augusta

I put the 20 gauge shells on the gas grill over a medium heat for a few minutes.  When the plastic starts to melt, take two pair of channel lock pliers and pull the plastic out.  A large nail or punch will then knock out the primer.  Loop your leather strap through the primer hole and hot glue in place.  Without the plastic hull, the beard fits nicely in a 20 gauge brass.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: West Augusta on June 07, 2022, 05:52:55 PM
I put the 20 gauge shells on the gas grill over a medium heat for a few minutes.  When the plastic starts to melt, take two pair of channel lock pliers and pull the plastic out. Without the plastic hull, the beard fits nicely in a 20 gauge brass.
Great idea!!

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: Tommy Strutsalot on June 07, 2022, 02:08:13 PM
I do almost the exact same thing, except I usually bash my finger using a hammer   

West Augusta

Quote from: Turkeyman on June 07, 2022, 01:09:17 PM

Like the idea of putting the spurs with the beard.  I may start doing that also.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

Lucky Goose

Spritz your mounts, feather, beards, whatever... with permethrin (the same stuff you spray on clothes for ticks) a few times a year and you'll be good to go.  It's a broad spectrum insect killer that lasts a long time. 

If you search the forums you'll find another thread on here that talks about buying the concentrate at farm supply stores and diluting it yourself for pocket change compared to buying pre-mixed stuff for taxidermy or insect repellent.

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: Turkeyman on June 07, 2022, 01:09:17 PM

I like that. I saw one similar a year or two ago where the guy was also keeping one feather from the fan and running it in the shotgun brass with the beard. It looked real cool too. I've always just strung up my spurs. Got all the beards saved but have never done anything with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

West Augusta

This is how I store mine.

Sent from my SM-G996U1 using Tapatalk

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: West Augusta on June 20, 2022, 05:18:35 PM
This is how I store mine.

Sent from my SM-G996U1 using Tapatalk
Man, that looks great! Love everything about that display.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk