turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Turkey Beard Preservation in Shadow Box

Started by Shiloh, June 06, 2022, 04:43:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiloh

Anything I can put in the box to keep bugs out guys??

3bailey3

I put borax on my beards right after I harvest them, I haven't  lost one yet.

Yelper

Something I do to the beards I keep inside is to wash them in warm water with some dawn dish detergent to get them clean and wash off the blood and (crap) they get in their beards that attract bugs. I also put super glue on the meat end after it has spent a week in borax and it seals the end and also holds it together if needed, not sure it needs the glue, but it works.

I have a shoebox full of washed beards and spurs and they have been in the house for years and no bugs either.

WV Flopper

I have a box made of cedar, haven't had any bugs for years/since I got it.

falltoms

I have a display case I keep beards in, some beards I cut off, some I pull off. All get treated with borax, then I wrap the end in leather and make a loop to hang. Don't have any problems

Howie g

I learned the hard way to put moth balls in the beard box .
Lost a whole box full a few years back ....

deerhunt1988

Borax all mine and spray down with Bengal roach spray (main ingredient: permethrin) each year and never had an issue. Picked up the Bengal roach spray tip many years ago from forums.

RutnNStrutn

Not trying to be a smartass, but keep a clean house. The wife and I keep our house clean and have no issues with bugs anywhere.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

J-Shaped

https://www.mountmedix.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6&products_id=13

In addition to what others have stated, I've found this to be a good product for treating the beards.

Shiloh

Great information!!  Rut'n......should've clarified.  These will be in a trophy room in my shop.  I guess I should keep the shop more clean, but that ain't happening. 

3bailey3

Josh I can bet your shop is very nice and clean!!

ShortMagFan

I cut them off and immediately dab the meat in table salt. After a few days it's dried out. Do the same with the lower legs which I cut off at the joint. Then they dry in a shoebox for a year before I glue the beard into a shotgun shell and cut the legs a half inch on either side of the spur. Run a piece of leather thru both and staple the leather to a cedar board in my bunk room at the farm. Been working well for 30+ years

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: Shiloh on June 06, 2022, 10:12:53 PM
Great information!!  Rut'n......should've clarified.  These will be in a trophy room in my shop.  I guess I should keep the shop more clean, but that ain't happening.

RutnNStrutn

I pull the beard out of the skin. It's held together by gristle like material. Then I cut off the plastic hull of the shotshell I killed the gobbler with, and hot glue the beard's base into the brass. Then I drill a hole in the primer for a screw eye, and hang my beards in groups all around my man cave. Due to no meat on the beard, the base of the beard encased in hot glue in the brass, and hanging by a string, bugs are not an issue.
Here's a picture of one of the groups of hanging beards.

Shiloh

I do my kids beards with the shotgun shell although I have had problems getting the beards to fit into a 20ga hull.  I used to put my beards in a plastic picture holder and put them in my picture books and they stayed in the house with no problem.  I have beards from 30+ years ago, but I am now doing picture books online so that's not an option.  I already have these shadow boxes done, so I'll either spray them or use a couple of mothballs. 
Bailey we park our side by sides in the shop so it was a mess!!  That is one of my kids summer jobs to clean the shop from top to bottom!!