OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Conditioning ceramic  (Read 2491 times)

Offline Joneshunter

• Turkey killer from down south MS
Conditioning ceramic
« on: June 04, 2022, 03:31:24 PM »
So I’ve read a lot of guys on here saying they don’t condition ceramic calls, but recently I’ve been playing my ceramic call a lot lately and I can see white circles from where I’ve been playing on the ceramic and it’s began to get slick in those particular spots.. I’ve read Mike Battey (guy who made the ol yeller and a bunch of different ceramic calls) has said online to use diamond screen or diamond paper. Just wondering what I could do to get rid of those white spots and make it rough again thanks.

Online Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: Conditioning ceramic
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2022, 03:50:14 PM »
Depending on the ceramic , i clean them with an alcohol pad and between i use a scotch brite pad and just make sure i keep my striker tip clean... I'm sure your going to get a lot of opinions from sanding to whatever, again i think it has to do with the ceramic ... I always keep a couple of these alcohol pads in my satchel...
« Last Edit: June 06, 2022, 09:52:40 PM by Greg Massey »

Online Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2022, 04:10:10 PM »
The one I got from Stumpy came with a stone. I can't comment other than that as it is the only one I have owned.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline Joneshunter

• Turkey killer from down south MS
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2022, 05:17:22 PM »
Depending on the ceramic , i clean them with an alcohol pad and between time i use a scotch brite pad and just make sure i keep my striker tip clean... I'm sure your going to get a lot of opinions from sanding to whatever, again i think it has to do with the ceramic ... I always keep a couple of these alcohol pads in my satchel...
Thanks for the response Greg, and I have tried using denatured alcohol on the ceramic as advised by the call maker but once it dried the ceramic went back to where I can see the white spots that feel a little slicker.

Offline silvestris

• Longbeard
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2022, 09:20:09 PM »
Scotch   Brite on ceramic and strikers.  Alcohol preps if necessary.
“[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer.”  Ken Morgan, “Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Offline Crghss

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2022, 10:39:22 PM »
Red Scotch Brite is what I use. Keep striker tip clean.
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

Offline Wvgobbler

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2022, 04:06:23 PM »
220 grit sandpaper is what I use. Like others have said red scotch brite works. But I like 220 grit sandpaper better than anything I’ve tried.

Offline Gog1015

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2022, 09:13:40 PM »
Red scotch brite

Offline callmakerman

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2022, 06:08:10 AM »
Red scotch brite and I'm running it with a micarta striker. Grabs it really well.

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2022, 08:41:30 AM »
Red scotch brite and I'm running it with a micarta striker. Grabs it really well.
Man, Bill, I’d never thought of micarta for a striker material, certainly never had one, but I bet that is nasty on a ceramic. Now to try to track down a micarta striker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline 310 gauge

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2022, 11:35:07 AM »
Might be a hard find. Heard Micarta trees were on an endangered list.....hahaha. But if you find 2 in New York let me know!   

Offline callmakerman

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2022, 12:56:27 PM »
Man, Bill, I’d never thought of micarta for a striker material, certainly never had one, but I bet that is nasty on a ceramic. Now to try to track down a micarta striker.
I turned one on a whim one day and let's just say it was a real pain in the backside. The striker in question has been sitting around for maybe 10 years now till I decided to try it on the Butski copy I made. Works really well and will have a spot in the vest from now on for this call. I will also say that I really have no desire to try doing another. Doing certain turnings with micarta like pots is not that bad other than it stinks like hell and makes a big mess plus very hard on tools. Doing a striker is a whole different animal and not enjoyable at all.

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2022, 02:53:33 PM »
I turned one on a whim one day and let's just say it was a real pain in the backside. The striker in question has been sitting around for maybe 10 years now till I decided to try it on the Butski copy I made. Works really well and will have a spot in the vest from now on for this call. I will also say that I really have no desire to try doing another. Doing certain turnings with micarta like pots is not that bad other than it stinks like hell and makes a big mess plus very hard on tools. Doing a striker is a whole different animal and not enjoyable at all.
Makes sense. Well, if you ever sell that personal one I’m your huckleberry!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Sim1982

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2022, 06:46:50 PM »
Alcohol pads and light rubbing of scotch brite also had good luck with adding a bit of railroad chalk to the surface

Online Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2022, 07:44:13 PM »
Depending on the ceramic , i clean them with an alcohol pad and between time i use a scotch brite pad and just make sure i keep my striker tip clean... I'm sure your going to get a lot of opinions from sanding to whatever, again i think it has to do with the ceramic ... I always keep a couple of these alcohol pads in my satchel...
Thanks for the response Greg, and I have tried using denatured alcohol on the ceramic as advised by the call maker but once it dried the ceramic went back to where I can see the white spots that feel a little slicker.
  If you are seeing white spots on that ceramic , it makes me think, it wasn't condition right with someone over sanding it or using a condition stone on the call and getting in the overall ceramic surface of the call.  you may never get the call back to were it should be overall... I've seen ceramic calls ruined with over sanding and stones getting into the layers of the ceramic ... how most of us are telling you how to condition the call is the right way if the surface hasn't already been damaged.