turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Spotting Scope Tripod Help.

Started by Snood Life, June 04, 2022, 11:39:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snood Life

Can any one recommend a spotting scope tripod that won't break the bank?

Sir-diealot

What are you looking for in a tripod bud? Height, weight, aluminum, carbon fiber, minimum and maximum height? Looking for a better tripod for my camera or second one anyway and I have learned these are all very important considerations.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Dtrkyman

Fotopro would be hard to beat for the price, they also have cheap to expensive, lots of options.

Sir-diealot

Another thing you may want to think on is if you want the legs to have flip locks or the ones that you twist. With my shoulders I do not like the twist lock ones, I prefer the flip lock ones. I buy a lot of my camera stuff from these guys, this is a list of tripod legs with no heads. Oh by the way so you know you will pay more for carbon fiber but they weigh much less which is both good and bad, good as they are going to easier to hike in with and bad as being lighter they can be subject to more vibration. Many will have a hook on the bottom that you an hang a camera bag or backpack from though to add weight and stability or you can carry a small bag with a drawstring top and just add rocks to it at the site and hang it to stabilize as well if you want. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Tripod-Legs/ci/2636/N/4075788741
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Snood Life

Thank you both for the info and suggestions.

Greg Massey

Camofire , just put several tripods on sale... for the next 24 hours

Snood Life

Quote from: Greg Massey on June 05, 2022, 01:29:21 AM
Camofire , just put several tripods on sale... for the next 24 hours

Thank you.

GobbleNut

As others have suggested, a tripod choice is often a function of what you are using it for and under what conditions.  If you are using your tripod for long-range viewing or photography, and especially if things like wind-vibration is a factor, you want to have something that is stable and sturdy.  A flimsy, cheap tripod will frustrate you to no end if that is what you are using it for. (I know this because I have been there, done that). 

In addition, if you have circumstances where you will need the tripod to be usable at varying heights,...that is sitting, standing, or anything in between, that would obviously be a serious consideration as to what you get.  The more extension you need in your tripod, the more important that "sturdiness" becomes.  In general, vibration is the enemy, and the greater the extension of the tripod, the greater the risk of that vibration becoming an issue. 

Another consideration is size and weight.  Tripods can vary greatly in both.  Lugging a big, heavy tripod around if you are doing a significant amount of walking/hiking with it can become an issue, as well. (again, I know this because I have been there, done that, too).

Bottom line for me, personally, is that it is better to spend a bit more money for a good, solid tripod (assuming you need it), while at the same time seriously contemplating what you plan on using it for before making the decision as to what to buy.  If I was to make a general statement, I would say stay away from the "el cheapo" tripods.  Depending on what you plan on doing with it, though, you probably don't need one of the real expensive ones either.   

Sir-diealot

John Koenig:

GobbleNut

Woah!...they are pretty proud of their tripods!  ;D :D   Again, though, depending on what a guy is using their tripod for, something like those might be just what is needed.  However, I would consider carefully what you are using your tripod for before spending that much money on one.  There are serviceable tripods around that cost a lot less than those! 
(Having said that, I do have a Manfrotto tripod that is similar to the one shown there, but I use it for some very specific purposes where a really solid tripod is needed)

Sir-diealot

Quote from: GobbleNut on June 08, 2022, 06:01:46 PM
Woah!...they are pretty proud of their tripods!  ;D :D   Again, though, depending on what a guy is using their tripod for, something like those might be just what is needed.  However, I would consider carefully what you are using your tripod for before spending that much money on one.  There are serviceable tripods around that cost a lot less than those! 
(Having said that, I do have a Manfrotto tripod that is similar to the one shown there, but I use it for some very specific purposes where a really solid tripod is needed)
I agree. Right now I am looking for a lightweight carbon fiber with a 30lb. or more load capacity with flip locks and reversible center post so it can go in upside down so I can take images close to the ground as well. I have not decided on total height yet, don't want to have to bend down to take a picture though, not with my back. I have a small one about a foot or two high when I want to go lightweight right now but I want more options.

John Koenig:

Dtrkyman

Outdoorsman products are very popular with western hunters, I use their pistol grip attachment but not their tripods.

I basically look through optics for a living from Aug. through January, for the monet fotopro are awesome and they have cheapish up to high end.

Manfrotto, Slik, Sirui Field optics research are all solid brands, you just need to understand what is needed.

Pricier tri pods have better heads, can handle more weight and tend to be carbon fiber. 

I suggest you figure out the weight of the optic or camera you plan to use it for and make sure the tri pod can handle the weight.

I have several different ones, from ultra light and short for back pack hunts to heavy standing height duty for glassing from or close to the truck.

I think I have seen you are a photographer so the type of head the tripod has is important, you want a quality fluid head.  For that I would start with a Sirui VA-5 unless you have a really substantial camera.

Go to youtube and look at some videos from the guys at go hunt, lots of good tripod info but much is based on back pack hunting. 

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Dtrkyman on June 08, 2022, 09:29:12 PM
Outdoorsman products are very popular with western hunters, I use their pistol grip attachment but not their tripods.

I basically look through optics for a living from Aug. through January, for the monet fotopro are awesome and they have cheapish up to high end.

Manfrotto, Slik, Sirui Field optics research are all solid brands, you just need to understand what is needed.

Pricier tri pods have better heads, can handle more weight and tend to be carbon fiber. 

I suggest you figure out the weight of the optic or camera you plan to use it for and make sure the tri pod can handle the weight.

I have several different ones, from ultra light and short for back pack hunts to heavy standing height duty for glassing from or close to the truck.

I think I have seen you are a photographer so the type of head the tripod has is important, you want a quality fluid head.  For that I would start with a Sirui VA-5 unless you have a really substantial camera.

Go to youtube and look at some videos from the guys at go hunt, lots of good tripod info but much is based on back pack hunting.
I am not the OP but yes I am a photographer. I was taught to get 4 time the load capacity to what my camera weighs, so say it is 10lbs. I want a tripod and head that will handle 40lbs. this is to help prevent camera shake and bad pictures as a result, I would imagine it is much the same with spotting scopes/binocs?

John Koenig:

Dtrkyman

Definitely, you need a rock steady platform at 60x magnification!

aclawrence

Slik 624 or 634

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk