OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Why all the hate  (Read 4104 times)

Offline RutnNStrutn

• Long Spur Gobbler
Re: Why all the hate
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2022, 01:57:14 PM »
Liberal intolerance and it's effect on society. Plain and simple. Ever since the 60's, liberal intolerance has led to increased arguing, less understanding, more fighting, and it pushes distrust and hatred of those who don't think, talk and act like they do.
This has crept into every facet of life. Class, race, religion, gender, politics, education, etc. Similarly, it has appeared in the hunting community.
Back in the day, family and friends would be happy to take a kid hunting. People were open to and interested in new hunting techniques. Other hunters would congratulate you on your success. Nowadays, they examine your hunt under a microscope. There's already too many hunters, why are you bringing in more? Did you hunt private land or public? DIY or guided? What weapon did you use? What broadhead or type of shot did you use? Did you hunt out of a blind or use decoys? Did you reap, fall back and call, did you hunt an area where someone was already parked at the gate? What call did you use? Etc, etc, etc, ad nauseum.
If you didn't hunt the exact same way that the purists hunt, let the attacks begin. Which brings us to the next problem - Internet tough guys. It's easy to sit behind a keyboard halfway across the country and be a tough guy to someone you don't agree with. Back in the day, you manned up or shut up. You didn't jump on a keyboard and blast some dude you've never even met.
What's the solution? Beats the hell out of me!! All I know is that back in the day, I thought my parents and grandparents were old fashioned and out of touch. Now that I'm older myself, I've realized much too late that they knew exactly what they were talking about. But it's too late. Someone left the gate open, and the horses have escaped the corral.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 04, 2022, 02:09:37 PM by RutnNStrutn »

Offline RutnNStrutn

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2022, 02:04:04 PM »

If it's legal and affects me than it is my business. I may not be able to anything about it but it's still of concern to me.
So what are you going to do? Sit around and be mad? I guess all you can do is lobby the powers that be to change the law to your liking.

Online Paulmyr

• Longbeard
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2022, 02:10:18 PM »
Liberal intolerance and it's effect on society. Plain and simple. Ever since the 60's, liberal intolerance has led to increasing arguing, less understanding, more fighting, and it pushes distrust and hatred of those who don't think, talk and act like they do.
This has crept into every facet of life. Class, race, religion, gender, politics, education, etc. Similarly, it has appeared in the hunting community.
Back in the day, family and friends would be happy to take a kid hunting. People were open to and interested in new hunting techniques. Other hunters would congratulate you on your success. Nowadays, they examine your hunt under a microscope. Did you hunt private land or public? DIY or guided? What weapon did you use? What broadhead or shot she'll did you use? Did you hunt out of a blind or use decoys? Did you reap, fall back and call, did you hunt an area where someone was already parked at the gate? What call did you use? Etc, etc, etc, ad nauseum.
If you didn't hunt the exact same way that the purists hunt, let the attacks begin. Which brings us to the next problem - Internet tough guys. It's easy to sit behind a keyboard halfway across the country and be a tough guy to someone you don't agree with. Back in the day, you manned up or shut up. You didn't jump on a keyboard and blast some dude you've never even met.
What's the solution? Beats the hell out of me!! All I know is that back in the day, I thought my parents and grandparents were old fashioned and out of touch. Now that I'm older myself, I realize too late that they knew exactly what they were talking about. But it's too late. Someone left the gate open, and the horses have escaped the corral.

I also remember a day when a man had the right to his opinion and could voice it freely without the concern of being cancelled. Losing his livelihood because he voiced an opinion others didn't like. It's slippery slope when people are told/forced to shut up and take it.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

“I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Online Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2022, 02:21:02 PM »
Back in my early years , we had this local community store / sporting good store and pretty much everyone knew everyone and where we all hunted. After opening morning of deer season we would all meet back at the store and weight our deer, check them in for our next tag and the guy who owned the store had one of these new Polaroid camera that would take a picture develop it all in one motion and your picture was put up on the wall for everyone to see.. We all would share stories of the morning hunt and eating store made bologna sandwiches, little Debbie cakes, chips and cold drinks and get ready for the afternoon hunt.. that was our social media back in those early years. We all new each other in the community and we all tried to help each other ... those days are long gone... i have and always say i have lived the best years growing up in this world... You new guys have got a tough road to hold...  God Bless ....

Offline zelmo1

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • Take a Newbie Hunting
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2022, 03:19:46 PM »
Everyone wants to be free to do whatever they want, but they also want everyone else to agree with them. My head hurts  :OGturkeyhead:

Offline arkrem870

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2022, 04:44:35 PM »
I hate the fact many of the places I’ve hunted 20+ years are now regulated to the point of not making the trip. I hate the fact we are losing hunting season. I hate the fact public land has been hammered due to loose lips. I hate the fact public land regulations are being tightened and opportunity lost because of the loose lips. I hate the fact people are trying to profit from public land turkeys/hunting. I hate the fact turkeys are now hunted for likes and social media attention when they are a precious resource that is so much more than that. I love turkey hunting. I love to see first light on the horizon on a new day. I love to hear owls and whippoorwills. I love to hear my heart pounding when he is coming my way. I love the smell of gun powder after the shot. I love sitting back at camp and telling the story to a few close buddies and that being enough. 

Offline eggshell

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2022, 04:45:31 PM »
We were warned about 2000 years ago this was coming.

2 Timothy 3
New Living Translation
The Dangers of the Last Days

3 You should know this, Timothy, that in the last days there will be very difficult times. 2 For people will love only themselves and their money. They will be boastful and proud, scoffing at God, disobedient to their parents, and ungrateful. They will consider nothing sacred. 3 They will be unloving and unforgiving; they will slander others and have no self-control. They will be cruel and hate what is good. 4 They will betray their friends, be reckless, be puffed up with pride, and love pleasure rather than God. 5 They will act religious, but they will reject the power that could make them godly. Stay away from people like that!

You may as well read the rest of the warning, it continues in chapter 3

Offline the Ward

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2022, 10:28:56 AM »
Liberal intolerance and it's effect on society. Plain and simple. Ever since the 60's, liberal intolerance has led to increased arguing, less understanding, more fighting, and it pushes distrust and hatred of those who don't think, talk and act like they do.
Back in the day, family and friends would be happy to take a kid hunting. People were open to and interested in new hunting techniques. Other hunters would congratulate you on your success. Nowadays, they examine your hunt under a microscope. There's already too many hunters, why are you bringing in more? Did you hunt private land or public? DIY or guided? What weapon did you use? What broadhead or type of shot did you use? Did you hunt out of a blind or use decoys? Did you reap, fall back and call, did you hunt an area where someone was already parked at the gate? What call did you use? Etc, etc, etc, ad nauseum.
What's the solution? Beats the hell out of me!! All I know is that back in the day, I thought my parents and grandparents were old fashioned and out of touch. Now that I'm older myself, I've realized much too late that they knew exactly what they were talking about. But it's too late. Someone left the gate open, and the horses have escaped the corral.

Great post rutnstrut!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline RutnNStrutn

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2022, 10:31:47 AM »

Offline Howie g

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2022, 01:20:23 PM »

2 Timothy 3
New Living Translation

3 You should know this, Timothy, that in the last days there will be very difficult times. 2 For people will love only themselves and their money. They will be boastful and proud, scoffing at God, disobedient to their parents, and ungrateful. They will consider nothing sacred. 3 They will be unloving and unforgiving; they will slander others and have no self-control. They will be cruel and hate what is good. 4 They will betray their friends, be reckless, be puffed up with pride, and love pleasure rather than God. 5 They will act religious, but they will reject the power that could make them godly. Stay away from people like that!

Post of the year ^^^
  To much SELF and not enough Jesus !  Bottom line .

Offline Shiloh

« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2022, 01:51:35 PM »
Amen!!!

Offline Archivist13

« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2022, 02:31:51 PM »
Deer and turkey hunting has become such a competition sport. Turkey hunting may not get the press, posts, or discussion as deer hunting, but it is even more effected by it due to the smaller resource and more area needed to pursue it. Back when I first started hunting turkeys in the late 80's it was a novelty that only a few did and didn't really talk ad nauseum about. Fast forward to today, and it is a completely different beast. Hunters throw a hissy fit if someone else decides to hunt the same land. Gatekeeping takes a literal meaning in this community. Rather than going out to enjoy the spring turkey woods as God has provided, it has become a competition to get the coolest photos to post on a FB or Instagram. How many times do you see a pic of a truly excited turkey hunter nowadays? Now think about how many times you see a pic of turkey with a person that works as a "influencer" or "prostaff"? It's not about the bird for so many anymore, its about the product placement, YouTube views, and likes. All this makes territorial behavior worse because it's not just the bird on the line, it's the bottom dollar.

Offline NCL

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2022, 11:28:44 AM »

I certainly agree with this statement except I do not believe that intolerance is restricted to any one group. it cuts across all groups. It used to be you could exchange differing ideas without being stereotyped into a particular group, now if you express a different view than stated you are, fill in the blank. Thus the free exchange of ideas and thus growth is being quelled so differing views gravitate to like views and there is no exchange of ideas. Off soapbox

Offline Cowboy

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2022, 04:54:50 PM »

2 Timothy 3
New Living Translation

Yes we are here....

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline Wasp

« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2022, 11:07:46 PM »
I hate to say it, but the worst part about hunting is hunters.  Anyone who has been in a hunting club will tell you it is non-stop drama.  Constant whining and complaining about seemingly everything.  Any club over 10 people has "that guy/s" whose jealous of anyone who kills something and is always worried that someone will kill "his" deer or turkey.  A THP episode summed it up pretty well when one of Chamberlain's grad students killed a turkey and said something to the effect of "anyone who doesn't want others to share this experience I don't understand the selfishness"

I guess it's always been this way.  I don't have an answer as to why, but if you don't know who "that guy" is then it's probably you.