turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Why all the hate

Started by 2flyfish4, June 03, 2022, 11:51:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2flyfish4

Just curious, why do you think there is so much hate between us hunters?

My thoughts on the subject. Alot of people say its jealousy. To me its not, its more of incompatible personalities. I'm primarily talking about some of the social media "stars". Even though in real life they are probably really good people, social media kind makes them the center of attention type people. All the reels, post, notifications I get on my phone it like hey here I am, look at me and that gets very old to me very quickly. Even though I like their stuff/post, I've had to stop following most of them b/c its just kinda the same stuff every day. Its kinda like when a new song comes out, and the radio plays it over and over. You like it for a week and then after that you don't want hear it again.

Second, real hunters in the woods. I hunt pretty much all public land. Most guys I've meet at the gate are nice, some don't have a clue, but that's fine. It always irks me when I have an area i plan to hunt and show up to the gate and see someone already there.. Ive learned to always have back up plans, treat people how I want to be treated and go to plan b if I get bet to the gate. But when I'm there first and someone shows up and they don't give you your space, I am cordial, but I really want to tell them to eff off. And if I'm not already in the woods at this time, I hope in my truck and go to plan b.

Lastly, I know this isn't just a turkey hunting issue, or just a hunter issue. You don't have to look far to see the hate amongst fisherman, athletes, politicians, he'll even preachers and pastors.

My daughter is 9, she had a friends bday party last week and her friends parents are big hikers and campers. They were complaining about how some of their favorite spots are now over run with fellow campers/hikers.

I think most outdoorsmen/women go to the outdoors be it hunting, fishing, hiking, camping to seek some solitude. Atleast I know that is a huge draw for me. We live in a world were that solitude is getting harder for everyone to find. Which ultimately causes alot of animosity amongst us.

Just my thoughts, would live to hear your opinion.

WAGinVA

Too many rats in the maze........

Mountainburd

Covid changed everything.  It made the rest of the world discover what we've known and cherished all along, which is solitude found in nature.  Now the ability to work remotely has driven up real estate prices in rural areas, and state parks and other public lands are overrun with new outdoor seekers.  And you combine that with urban areas and cities experiencing a major surge in violence and crime......get ready for the people.  I don't think it's going to change.

GobbleNut

Quote from: WAGinVA on June 04, 2022, 06:35:53 AM
Too many rats in the maze........

Perfect analogy. 

For turkey hunters, in particular, and under the conditions we now face, it is like someone coming over the intercom and announcing a "blue light special" at Walmart but there only being one of the product available.  There's going to be a brawl every time. 

eggshell

Mountainbird makes a very good point. In my lifetime this country has went  from around 200 million people to 350 million +, more people equals less space per capita and more conflict. If society has a flat line percentage of violent people and idiots then there are almost twice as many people of questionable character among us. I still believe in the basic goodness of people and that predominately society is kind and socially cohesive. The trouble is the outliers and trouble makers. where I do think we have went off the rails is in the media and government leadership. When the dominate voice of a people becomes the fringe of radical society then it exercises an influence on the whole philosophical view of everyone. I have long held the view, every group of people resembles their leadership, whether it's a small family group or a whole country this is my belief. If we want better we need to learn to be better.

This is where I will get real blunt and offend someone....this country doesn't need more laws, agendas or politicians. It needs more Jesus. when we truly learn to love one another like the man said we will be better. It starts with each one of us individually, when we do better those around us pick up on it and do better. Each of us has influence, we just need to decide what that will be.

I used to be an atheist and enjoyed my fast lane pessimistic life. I used to host a group of guys for a couple days of pheasant hunting and at the end of the day we'd crack open the cooler of beer and unwind. Then I encountered Jesus and started changing my life. I would take my own cooler with snacks and pepsi. One day when we had finished the hunt they opened the big cooler and not one single beer was inside. It was soft drinks and food. I asked what the heck happened and they replied, "we decided you were the host and if you didn't want to drink we wouldn't either". This is how it works, be better and better will follow you. This won't happen fast, but it will happen. My experience took probably three years to see change in the group.

Well you asked, so got my rant.

fallhnt

Don't worry, high fuel prices,inflation, food shortages, etc will change all of this.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

ol bob

Cell phones, computers, TV, If you lived in a little cabin, back in the sticks with out a link to the outside world you would be much happier. Everyone needs to learn, that what every body else is doing, if its legal is none of your business.

joey46

I'm only talking turkey not deer, ducks etc.  Since about the late 1990s if relegated to public land I've made it a point to only hunt weekdays.  If I had to hunt weekends I'd find something better to do.  Even in today's climate I'll bet I can find some solitude on a Wednesday hunt.  Opening week in south Florida an exception to this when every Osceola hungry hunter from the other 49 states flood the public lands and trip over each other for at least a week. 
This just completed season I drew a limited Florida quota hunt (won't happen every year).  Then was lucky enough to hunt some private land later in March.   Both hunts enjoyable and productive.  Followed that up with a long planned trip to a western state for a Merriam.  Again didn't go west opening week and made sure the days I would be hunting would not include a Saturday or Sunday.  I'm still of the opinion if you plan to work around the crowds they can often be avoided most of the time.
Going to add this.  I will spend hours looking through the country's turkey outfitters web sites always looking for a deal.  Many guide and outfit on public lands.  A lot more than you would think.  For some reason that irks me a little.  I will never go on a guided or sit in a blind type hunt but that's just me.  My Merriam trip was a solo run and gun hunt but at 75 I know those trips may be numbered.  The point here is that when looking these past two weeks the prices for the 2023 season have skyrocketed so if you have a trip in the future don't wait too long if you can avoid it.  You would think that $6.00 + gas would slow things down but it doesn't seem to so far.  The outfitters may start pricing many out of their offerings so the available public land will get more crowded.  Good luck. 

Dtrkyman

It is mostly the internet and social media, meet people face to face and there is a different attitude and people are generally friendly!

I also agree, trying to stuff 10lbs of chit in a 5lb jug.

Old Timer

When I was young we were raised with God fearing principals. I`m not saying we always obeyed them but when we didn`t there seemed to be a price to pay. The world was a simpler place. We didn`t have a lot but always got by. I remember my Uncle with his piece of paper and pencil. We got propane, wood for the stove (kitchen and central), potatoes in the cellar etc. Were gonna be alright.
We were a close family and we depended on each other day to day. Much of that is gone now with broken homes and no fathers. I had a trade that provided well for my family. But some folks on the job were very self serving and just wanted to get to the top at all cost and no respect for their fellow man. When my close co worker died from stress I retired. We live in a me, me, me society and many do not have a clue the price our fore Fathers payed for our freedom. I sum this up that " This world is not my home." For me I want to fear God, honor and respect his principles and do good to my fellow man.  The cares of this world will just plane wear a man out. God bless and enjoy your day.

Greg Massey

I agree with a lot of what has been said, but we still have a lot of good people in the turkey hunting community. All i will add is Social Media and the bias news media has played a role in trying to make us fight among ourselves.  All they want to do is cause conflict among everyone... or better known as lying to our faces ...

Cowboy

Quote from: eggshell on June 04, 2022, 08:18:09 AM
Mountainbird makes a very good point. In my lifetime this country has went  from around 200 million people to 350 million +, more people equals less space per capita and more conflict. If society has a flat line percentage of violent people and idiots then there are almost twice as many people of questionable character among us. I still believe in the basic goodness of people and that predominately society is kind and socially cohesive. The trouble is the outliers and trouble makers. where I do think we have went off the rails is in the media and government leadership. When the dominate voice of a people becomes the fringe of radical society then it exercises an influence on the whole philosophical view of everyone. I have long held the view, every group of people resembles their leadership, whether it's a small family group or a whole country this is my belief. If we want better we need to learn to be better.

This is where I will get real blunt and offend someone....this country doesn't need more laws, agendas or politicians. It needs more Jesus. when we truly learn to love one another like the man said we will be better. It starts with each one of us individually, when we do better those around us pick up on it and do better. Each of us has influence, we just need to decide what that will be.

I used to be an atheist and enjoyed my fast lane pessimistic life. I used to host a group of guys for a couple days of pheasant hunting and at the end of the day we'd crack open the cooler of beer and unwind. Then I encountered Jesus and started changing my life. I would take my own cooler with snacks and pepsi. One day when we had finished the hunt they opened the big cooler and not one single beer was inside. It was soft drinks and food. I asked what the heck happened and they replied, "we decided you were the host and if you didn't want to drink we wouldn't either". This is how it works, be better and better will follow you. This won't happen fast, but it will happen. My experience took probably three years to see change in the group.

Well you asked, so got my rant.
So true. This is what's wrong in society and in our school system. 

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

dah

A refreshing thread , points being made are spot on . We live in a fallen world . We wrestle not with flesh and bones but with the Prince of darkness . So put Pepsi in your cooler and let your light shine . Then hang on .  There is still a lot of beauty that surrounds us if we look . My DAD always said there is something to see if we look .

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: ol bob on June 04, 2022, 08:43:20 AM
Everyone needs to learn, that what every body else is doing, if its legal is none of your business.
Amen brother!!

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Paulmyr

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on June 04, 2022, 01:28:51 PM

Quote from: ol bob on June 04, 2022, 08:43:20 AM
Everyone needs to learn, that what every body else is doing, if its legal is none of your business.
Amen brother!!

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

If it's legal and affect me than it is my business. I may not be able  to do anything about it but still is of concern to me.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.