OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

sight radius and elevation adjustment question

Started by vt35mag, June 03, 2022, 01:29:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vt35mag

My POI is 2-3in low compared to my POA at 40yds and I am out of room to adjust the rear sight up and the front sight is fixed.  If I were to move the rear sight back toward the receiver, increasing the distance between the front and rear sights, will that help gain some additional elevation adjustment in the rear sight?
Using the Truglo pro series magnum gobble dot sights.

crow

When I was figuring where to place a mid bead to get the correct POI I moved it temporary towards the breech and then towards the muzzle. If I remember correctly moving the mid bead (rear sight) towards the muzzle raised POI.

If your front sight is a blade you could file it down lower to raise POI

silvestris

Two inches low at 40 yards?  I would forget it and hunt .  You can see two inches in your hand on paper while you can't see two inches from a distance of forty yards.  Hunt.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

vt35mag

Quote from: silvestris on June 03, 2022, 02:09:19 PM
Two inches low at 40 yards?  I would forget it and hunt .  You can see two inches in your hand on paper while you can't see two inches from a distance of forty yards.  Hunt.

That's what most would do, but my OCD won't allow it haha. 
Being that it is consistently low I would like to raise it to keep more pellets out of the breast meat.

shatcher

Aim for the ball of his head instead of his waddles.

Spring Creek Calls

It may be worth the time, money and effort to get a rib mount red dot. Then you can put the center of your pattern anywhere you'd like,  with both eyes open.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

vt35mag

Quote from: Spring Creek Calls on June 03, 2022, 07:30:27 PM
It may be worth the time, money and effort to get a rib mount red dot. Then you can put the center of your pattern anywhere you'd like,  with both eyes open.
I put a vortex venom on my 410 and really like it, so that maybe an option with this one. For the past 10yrs I have ran hevi 13 with this gun and am almost out of them, and have a bunch of tss shells, so I will be switching to that. TSS shoots a touch lower than the hevi 13, so I am wanting to bring my sights up a bit. I know the benefits to having a longer sight radius, but haven't found any solid info as it it pertains to poa/poi with the difference in distance between the front and rear sights.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

BandedSpur

I'm no mathematician, but as I think about the question, its seems to me that moving the rear sight rearward would decrease the correction to POI that you are trying to achieve. It seems that as you move that rear sight forward you would increase the angle between POA and POI, increasing the correction you are trying to make on POA. Moving it rearward should do the opposite.

I started shooting TSS exclusively in 2009, the year I turned 48, and it became readily apparent that between my aging eyes and the supertight patterns TSS produces, I needed to go to a red dot sight. Will never turkey hunt without one again.

ChesterCopperpot

If you're running a rear sight on a shotgun and run out of elevation adjustment on the rear sight and are shooting low, most times it can be corrected with the height of the front sight. I assume you're running the front sight that came with that gobble dot set. If so, try removing that sight and go back to your factory bead. I run the Tru Glo Tru Bead ghost ring rear sight on one gun and the front sight that came with that set was stupidly high (don't see how it would've worked on any gun). So I just put a normal bead on it and was good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk