OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: So it looks like we won all 3 categories  (Read 1004 times)

Offline reflexl

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
So it looks like we won all 3 categories
« on: June 02, 2022, 08:32:14 AM »
Most turkey points
Best looking
Best trash talking

We also won the prize for best sabbatical. Looks like we set a record for best sabbatical by the buckmasters scoring system.

Offline guesswho

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Gobbler Goober
Re: So it looks like we won all 3 categories
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2022, 08:36:05 AM »
Cool, well done.  I already had two of the three on my resume.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Offline Happy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2022, 08:50:57 AM »
I only have one virtual trophy and it was for best looking. I am striving to improve on my trash talking and Sabattical hunting skills. The habitat just doesn't seem to support many sabbatical around here and you can never trash talk too well. Oh well it's something to work towards.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline Rapscallion Vermilion

• Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2022, 10:32:29 AM »
That's pretty cool on the turkey points and not a little surprising given our heavy emphasis on categories 2 and 3.

This has been a master class in trash talking and I really need to up my sabbatical game. There must be a lot of them sabbaticals up in these dense Maine woods.  Can you call them up?  I don't even know what they sound like.  I took a retirement once, but a mature sabbatical would be awesome.

Offline guesswho

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Gobbler Goober
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2022, 11:03:22 AM »
I really need to up my sabbatical game. There must be a lot of them sabbaticals up in these dense Maine woods.  Can you call them up?  I don't even know what they sound like.  I took a retirement once, but a mature sabbatical would be awesome.
I would hold out for a Barr Sabbatical.   That way you don’t have to cut off, cook and eat their nuggets.  Yes, they can be called to the gun.   They sound a lot like a lake loon, you have probably heard one and didn’t realize it.   Andy did a great Sabbatical rendition on The Andy Griffith show one time.  The Barr Sabbaticals have a much higher pitched call, almost like a screech or even a scream.   Imagine a screeching or screaming lake loon and target that.   A triple inverted V cut hawk screamer is my go to call.   Barr Sabbaticals  seem more interested in food than breeding for some reason.  So it’s a good idea to carry a rabbit squealer also. 
« Last Edit: June 02, 2022, 11:12:36 AM by guesswho »
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Offline Rapscallion Vermilion

• Longbeard
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2022, 11:16:11 AM »
I really need to up my sabbatical game. There must be a lot of them sabbaticals up in these dense Maine woods.  Can you call them up?  I don't even know what they sound like.  I took a retirement once, but a mature sabbatical would be awesome.
I would hold out for a Barr Sabbatical.   That way you don’t have to cut off, cook and eat their nuggets.  Yes, they can be called to the gun.   They sound a lot like a lake loon, you have probably heard one and didn’t realize it.   Andy did a great Sabbatical call on The Andy Griffith show one time.  The Barr Sabbaticals have a much higher pitched call, almost like a screech or even a scream.   Imagine a screeching or screaming lake loon and target that.   A triple inverted V cut hawk screamer is my go to call.   Barr Sabbaticals  seem more interested in food than breeding for some reason.  So it’s a good idea to carry a rabbit squealer also.

Awesome, thanks!  I can work with the screaming lake loon motif and have a hawk screamer.  I tried out a few notes and my wife said that she was pretty sure that if I kept it up I would be getting a sabbatical.

Offline crow

• Double Beard
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2022, 03:04:52 PM »
I learned sabbatical calling by listening to 80% of the trumpet calling that is on youtube,

just like learning to play a trumpet, just pick out 1 sound clip from the 80% and stick with it till you have it down pat, thats all you need to do for consistent calling success

you do need to keep an eye out for them in the air, they seem to come gliding in more frequent than skulking in