OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Anyone use a Muddy Outdoors treestand?

Started by lightsoutcalls, June 14, 2011, 11:30:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lightsoutcalls

I'm looking at getting a new treestand and am eyeing the Muddy Outdoors "Hunter" model.  I like the idea of a lighter weight stand as well as the leveling mechanisms on the platform and the seat for trees that aren't exactly straight. 
I have a ladder stand and a climbing stand.  The ladder is too bulky to move from place to place... serves as a fixed stand for the season when used.  The climber is great if you have a straight tree of the right diameter with few or no limbs between the ground and where you want to be. 
Although I have never used them, it is my understanding that the lock on stands allow you to utilize trees thicker than the climbers will fit on, trees that aren't straight and trees with limbs that would get in the way of a climber.
I'm also trying to decide on the right climbing steps or sticks.  I'm looking at the summit steps... not so sure about the minimal design of the Muddy sticks or Lone Wolf sticks.  I also like the idea of Made In USA wherever possible.

Any input?
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

lightsoutcalls

I guess nobody is using the Muddy stands.  I got mine this week in trade for some calls.  I was quite disappointed to see on the top of the box:

MADE IN CHINA

Grrrr!  I thought they were made here in the U.S.  The stand has some great features and I can't wait to get it on a tree to try out.  It weighs 12 pounds.  The climbing steps I'm looking at are around 9 lbs.  Combined they should still be about 1/2 the weight of my Ol' Man climber. 

clarksvalley

got one last year after watching bill winke and the mid west whitetail guys.pretty good stand,comfortable,plenty of room,and i like the adjustablity with the platform and seat.first stand that i ever had a footrest on and i got to say it added comfort on a all day sit.i believe they are an iowa based company and sad to say they are made in china.i like the rope system they use on they`re steps just wish the lenght of each step would be longer for extra climbing height.lone wolf makes a nice climbing stick (never used one just bases off of internet suggestions)and are made in U.S.i seen on archerytalk awhile back lone wolf was made in the u.s. then moved operation over seas and quality suffered and got alot of grief from the comsumer and i believe moved everything back to the states.thinking about replacing another stand this year just don`t know if it will be a muddy or a lone wolf.

lightsoutcalls

The rope system of the muddy sticks does look interesting.  I just prefer the more rounded surface of the summit steps in case I slip.  I don't care to be impaled on my climbing steps.   :o

I was disappointed in the quality of the ratchet mechanism.  Although it was coated with paint, it still had some fairly sharp edges.  I suspect I will have a local company sew me a couple of replacement straps with some ratchets from wal-mart.  I worked for this local company while in college.  They make industrial safety equipment and would be more than able to meet or excede the quality of sewing on the straps.

savduck

Quote from: lightsoutcalls on July 01, 2011, 11:01:42 AM
I guess nobody is using the Muddy stands.  I got mine this week in trade for some calls.  I was quite disappointed to see on the top of the box:

MADE IN CHINA

Grrrr!  I thought they were made here in the U.S.  The stand has some great features and I can't wait to get it on a tree to try out.  It weighs 12 pounds.  The climbing steps I'm looking at are around 9 lbs.  Combined they should still be about 1/2 the weight of my Ol' Man climber.  

Weight or not its hard to be an Ol Man. I have the ol grand vision when they still had a 400lb weight limit  and were out os MS. Since they have  sold twice, now made in Florida.
Georgia Boy

paradis1142

Im in the same boat,  looking for a quality lock on to use this year on my out of state hunts.

archery1

they are made outta steel? i get my treestands at dicks after season.. they are really cheap.. i got a huge steel hang on for 39 bucks last year.. think it was a rivers edge? not sure.. very comfortable.. dont have the level features of this muddy t stand.. but was over a hundred cheaper.. dicks got some great deals on sticks also... got 2  16 footers for 50 bucks... i use ratchet straps.. i dont even use them cam buckles that come with sticks,, i want my sticks not to move when i climb them.. i also use a ratchet strap on t stand... cant beat the ratchet straps,, think they are alitlte salty for them.. but its ur life u are puttin on them..,.
Take a kid hunting

Dixie Whistler

I got a muddy stand this year.  I liked it ok, but from now on if I want a really nice stand I will stick with Lone Wolf.  They are expensive, but now they are US made again and they are the best I have tried. 

ohiomossyoak

Quote from: archery1 on January 18, 2012, 10:10:45 PM
they are made outta steel? i get my treestands at dicks after season.. they are really cheap.. i got a huge steel hang on for 39 bucks last year.. think it was a rivers edge? not sure.. very comfortable.. dont have the level features of this muddy t stand.. but was over a hundred cheaper.. dicks got some great deals on sticks also... got 2  16 footers for 50 bucks... i use ratchet straps.. i dont even use them cam buckles that come with sticks,, i want my sticks not to move when i climb them.. i also use a ratchet strap on t stand... cant beat the ratchet straps,, think they are alitlte salty for them.. but its ur life u are puttin on them..,.

I think the majority of folks who buy Top end hang-ons do so for reasons the steel hang-ons are lacking..Portability of packing in an out every time is a big reason..225$ Lone Wolf stand isn't going to creak or make a single noise ever unlike a cheap steel...Not knocking the cheap steel..They like the Lone wolf and other similar stands all have there place..The cam buckles work great on multi stick set ups..I could see them being a issue on a 16 or 20ft stick though..Muddys rope system is great!But as mentioned stick length or lack of is a HUGE issue IMO.Personally I picked up a Aluminum summit climber an added a footrest,hazmore sling seat,stabilizer straps an Molle II pack system,..Easy to pack in out an..But it turns out most of the new places i hunt are not climber friendly..I want to hunt for deer not a tree that may put me 10 or 20yrds out of range...So I picked up a Lone wolf an 3 sticks soon to be a 4th...An will most likely sell the climber 
"Mister X"=2013 Recon'ed Stryker Strykezone 380 covered in Mossy Oak Treestand camo(1inch groups@45yards off a bench with Slick Trick Broadheads)
"General Patton"=Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag/24in ported barrel in  woodland camo

MizzouOutdoors

My climber and one of my fixed stands are Summits, very comfy and never have been disappointed