OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: There is a finish line  (Read 724 times)

Offline FullChoke

• Double Beard
  • Central Minnesota
There is a finish line
« on: May 20, 2022, 10:48:48 PM »
Team mates.

I know that the 2022 season has been challenging for everyone on several fronts, gas prices, mute birds, Covid, finding ammunition, and compelling life issues. Several have voiced their dismay over not taking a turkey for the first season in many years. Gentlemen, I understand. This sport is not like organized softball where pushing yourself harder, training diligently and having a good focused winning attitude are what you need to win. We hunt an incredibly obnoxious, temperamental and wildly variable game bird that often times just decides that he doesn't really want to play the game. This team is made up of very capable and creative hunters who find that in spite of their best efforts, sometimes things just didn't line up the way that they wanted. There are years where you seem to not be able to make any mistakes and everything turns to your advantage. We have all been on both sides of that fence. There is absolutely no need to apologize if this bird has kicked your butt. It is the only animal that I hunt that I can truthfully lean back against a tree and take real delight when he has absolutely outwitted me. I look at it this way, he gets to live to see the sun come up tomorrow and I get to go home and see my wife again. That is a real Win-Win situation.

I said all of that to say this, I stand very proud of the spirit and results that each team mate has brought to the OG contest this year. We still have a few days left to bulk up our score and I know that several of you meat eaters will still be out there stomping around the woods until the last minute. The largest gobbler I have ever shot was taken at sunset on the last day of a frustrating and otherwise fruitless season several years ago here in MS. Stay after them my brothers, you are really that good.

Cheers  ;D

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Offline zelmo1

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • Take a Newbie Hunting
Re: There is a finish line
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2022, 01:03:13 PM »
I have till June 4th in Maine. I will get 2 days to hunt, the 3rd and 4th, hopefully I can get an upgrade. Good luck to all still beating the brush. Al

Offline TKE921

Re: There is a finish line
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2022, 05:11:33 PM »
Sunday was the finish line for me.  I feel fortunate to have got the birds I did because this was definitely the least gobbling I have ever heard in any given spring.  After a few days rest I will be looking forward to the first gobbles of 2023.