OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Winchester SXP Longbeard 20 GA trigger...7 to 8 lbs  (Read 1232 times)

Offline Bucktweet

Winchester SXP Longbeard 20 GA trigger...7 to 8 lbs
« on: May 19, 2022, 06:28:39 PM »
I love this gun.  It's just what I wanted but why in the world would a gun manufacturer make a dedicated turkey gun and set the trigger at 7 plus lbs???  Sometimes it registers 7 plus and sometimes it doesn't even pull at 8

How much should I expect to pay for a trigger job and what would be a good weight to set it at?  3 3/4 lbs?

Thanks for any advice given

Offline tracker#1

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
  • Big game tracker with dogs, Oathkeeper, NRA Endowm
Re: Winchester SXP Longbeard 20 GA trigger...7 to 8 lbs
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2022, 06:40:41 PM »
I have that gun in a !2 gauge, Yes, the trigger is awful, will be sending it out for trigger work...

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • Pucker up............
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2022, 07:24:56 PM »
You must have got a bad one, my first 20 gauge sxp longbeard was horrible, I had a gunsmith work on it, it was a lot better but I still sold gun. I have since purchased 2 more in 20 gauge,one in obsession and one in break up country, and a 12 gauge version in obsesssion, the 12 and the 20 in break up, the triggers are fine, Ill find out tomorrow about the new 20 gauge in obsession, I feel your pain with trigger, I am not sure what the cost would be as I had mine done for free, from the man as I know him personally and he didn't charge me.
Browning'....“The Best There Is”

Austin 3:16...........

Offline Bucktweet

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2022, 08:53:36 PM »
You must have got a bad one, my first 20 gauge sxp longbeard was horrible, I had a gunsmith work on it, it was a lot better but I still sold gun. I have since purchased 2 more in 20 gauge,one in obsession and one in break up country, and a 12 gauge version in obsesssion, the 12 and the 20 in break up, the triggers are fine, Ill find out tomorrow about the new 20 gauge in obsession, I feel your pain with trigger, I am not sure what the cost would be as I had mine done for free, from the man as I know him personally and he didn't charge me.

What did you set it to?

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • Pucker up............
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2022, 04:04:37 AM »
I don't know the precise weight,It was very nice compared to the pos 30 lbs it was at, all I know is they are a pain to work on and it is common issue on the sxp triggers, It is a hit or miss, even at their best, they are just average triggers, the difference on mine was night and day, and my others are just another normal shotgun trigger.

I have only ever had 2 bad triggers on over 70ish shotguns, the first sxp 20 gauge and a weatherby sa 459 12 gauge that my father bought earlier this spring,but it was fixed as well, it was worse than my sxp 20, and thats is saying a lot.
Browning'....“The Best There Is”

Austin 3:16...........