OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: New turkey chair for 2023  (Read 5918 times)

Offline mountainhunter1

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: New turkey chair for 2023
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2022, 11:10:19 AM »
Forget the metal frame chairs and go with a heavy duty stadium style chair. I find them comfortable and much more versatile than a chair with legs. When sitting on a hill you can adjust the straps to different lengths to keep you sitting upright. And they weigh less than a pound.
Alps makes a camo one. I found mine one sale two years ago for $14.99 each and bought two.......should have bought 10 of them.
https://alpsoutdoorz.com/backwoods.html

I like this second seat you sent a link much better. It has a 2.5 inch pad and as you said, I especially like the slate and striker section. Along with a slate, a guy can put a diaphragm or two in the chest pocket and have the wingbone/trumpet around the neck and they have the ability to sound like three to four different turkeys without a heavier full vest. Thanks again. 

You have sparked my interest, and I looked at that link and get the adjustability of that type seat, but one sincere question - What about comfort as that looks to have zero padding? Do you run it like it is or do you add a cushion to it? If so, what pad fits that configuration? Thanks for sharing your findings.
  Those seats are immensely useful but not real comfortable.  If you are in your 30's go for it.  I kind of aged out of being able to love 'em anymore.  :)
ALPS has a padded version with shoulder straps and a small fold out to carry a call and strikers.  I have one and it works well.  Still, I usually carry a lounger and my grandson uses it.  I do use it for running and gunning and shorter sits.  Slide a bottle of water in it and take off.  It's about 3 lbs.   https://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/alps-nwtf-scout-chair-mossy-oay-obsession_2?msclkid=44388a1cfe021da3f376e89f520b251a
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

Offline bwhana

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2022, 12:16:07 PM »
Agree with above posts and love my Alpz Backwoods for run and gun - nothing lighter for the comfort.  For longer, planned sits, I have tried them all, but came to love this ENO at 3.5 lbs for maximum comfort above all the rest.  https://eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/products/lounger-sl-chair

How is this for a quick setup? Like a gobble real close and you have to get seated right away?
It does take a minute to setup and not as quick as a folding chair style. I have only carried mine when I planned to setup on a field or catch them moving back to an evening roost and wait them out, so I've not been in a rush either.

Offline lunghit

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2022, 01:17:24 PM »
Agree with above posts and love my Alpz Backwoods for run and gun - nothing lighter for the comfort.  For longer, planned sits, I have tried them all, but came to love this ENO at 3.5 lbs for maximum comfort above all the rest.  https://eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/products/lounger-sl-chair

How is this for a quick setup? Like a gobble real close and you have to get seated right away?
It does take a minute to setup and not as quick as a folding chair style. I have only carried mine when I planned to setup on a field or catch them moving back to an evening roost and wait them out, so I've not been in a rush either.
Ok thanks. The weight of this your chair is very nice. I might just try one of them.
"There's only so many spring mornings in a man's lifetime"

Offline Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2022, 02:40:01 PM »
Been using an Alpz 3-legged stool for a whole lotta years.  Anything any bigger and I ain't dragging it around the woods.

https://alpsoutdoorz.com/lightweight-packable-blind-chair-tri-leg-stool.html
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Offline Meleagris gallopavo

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • I struggle, but still succeed...
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2022, 03:25:19 PM »

I’d probably ditch the chair in that situation and find a tree.  Hopefully you wouldn’t have to sit too long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Offline jordanz7935

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2022, 03:47:28 PM »
Im going on 2 full seasons using the BOG turkey chair. Its held up great so far and my gear takes a beating every spring. Its like a lazy boy compared to the vest cushion sitting against a tree. Everything that BOG makes seems to be good quality. I see alps mountaineering makes a "turkey style" chair under 5 pounds that looks sweet other than the orange color.

Offline OJR

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2022, 04:20:37 PM »
ALPZ/Browning all day long! Well built and very comfortable. A little heavy but not too bad.

Offline Goblen

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2022, 04:57:41 PM »
Alps Mountaineering Rendezvous Elite sanded it and spary painted. 4.7 pounds weight. Just finished second season. Good as new.

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2022, 06:32:32 PM »
Alps Mountaineering Rendezvous Elite sanded it and spary painted. 4.7 pounds weight. Just finished second season. Good as new.
Does the fabric come off for ease of painting?

Offline bigriverbum

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2022, 08:11:33 PM »
camofire.com has had alps and i think brownings onsale. like 40% off,  once a week lately. i should've pulled the trigger last time i saw them.

the walmart ones don't hold up. not for my fat***

also, i take my chair maybe 50% of the time. i think i'm done with vests/cushions. but where i hunt there's never any flat ground and these types of chairs don't seem to excell in mountainous terrain. but when its works its great. could sit all day

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2022, 08:49:58 AM »
Im going on 2 full seasons using the BOG turkey chair. Its held up great so far and my gear takes a beating every spring. Its like a lazy boy compared to the vest cushion sitting against a tree. Everything that BOG makes seems to be good quality. I see alps mountaineering makes a "turkey style" chair under 5 pounds that looks sweet other than the orange color.
I went with the BOG.  I was leaning that way in my original post. 

Offline BDeal

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2022, 02:58:47 PM »
I have the Lafuma camp chair. It is extremely lightweight. I can't believe that there aren't more options for lightweight turkey chairs out there. There is NO way I'm carrying a chair around that weighs 5 lbs plus.

Offline Tail Feathers

• Limbhanger
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2022, 04:03:05 PM »
If you find a stadium seat you like, a Klymit blow up cushion may help make it comfortable.  I bought one but didn’t take it into the woods.  I used it at the ballpark on the bleachers a few times and it is durable and comfortable. 
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Offline TRG3

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2022, 11:16:04 PM »
At 80 years of age, those ground loungers are easy to get in and are comfortable, but they are very difficult to get out of, so I went to a regular fold-up lawn chair, the type with the plastic woven strips. A bungee cord allows me to carry it over my shoulder. A camo screen in front of me held up by some river cane allows me to hunt in comfort and the turkeys ignore it. This same chair/bungee cord accompanies me on all-day rabbit hunts, providing a comfortable place to rest while the dogs are running the cottontail. I've found that adjustments must be made as we get older if we want to stay out there.

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2022, 06:14:04 PM »
 I'm not using one of those 3 legged stools, while i'm taking a nap, i might fall and break my neck with one of those 3 legged stools...  :TooFunny:  I just like those low to the ground chairs, they just give me more options...  :TooFunny: