OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

New turkey chair for 2023

Started by Meleagris gallopavo, May 17, 2022, 07:18:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meleagris gallopavo

At the end of each turkey season I reflect on equipment needs/wants for the next season.  Wasn't too hard deciding this time as I wore out the 2nd Walmart turkey chair (basically it's falling apart).  Now I'm in search of an upgrade.  I'm leaning towards the BOG Low Pro turkey chair.  It has an aluminum frame and weighs 6.5 lbs.  The other one I'm considering is the Alps Vanish but it's heavier and more expensive. 

What's the chair most of you use if you use one.  Are there other chairs I need to look at? 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Sixes

I switched to a Millennium Pro turkey seat and it has worked great. Adjustable back and sits like any Millennium seat

btodd00

ive had good luck with the ones from academy, plus they have built in backpack straps

WAGinVA

Browning Strutter by ALPZ, I went through a couple of the wallyworld specials in short order but have had the Browning for 5 years and it appears as good as new, I also find it quieter than the WW specials.

mspaci

Im on my second browning, the first one went 6-7 years. I like mine. First time I got the big one but now have the regular & its just fine & a little lighter. Mike

Tom007

Quote from: WAGinVA on May 17, 2022, 08:03:28 AM
Browning Strutter by ALPZ, I went through a couple of the wallyworld specials in short order but have had the Browning for 5 years and it appears as good as new, I also find it quieter than the WW specials.

X2, seems indestructible. Very well made, solid as heck......did not know Alps makes it. Bought mine years ago when Browning made them....
"Solo hunter"

Number17

Forget the metal frame chairs and go with a heavy duty stadium style chair. I find them comfortable and much more versatile than a chair with legs. When sitting on a hill you can adjust the straps to different lengths to keep you sitting upright. And they weigh less than a pound.
Alps makes a camo one. I found mine one sale two years ago for $14.99 each and bought two.......should have bought 10 of them.
https://alpsoutdoorz.com/backwoods.html
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls

mountainhunter1

Quote from: Number17 on May 17, 2022, 08:56:06 AM
Forget the metal frame chairs and go with a heavy duty stadium style chair. I find them comfortable and much more versatile than a chair with legs. When sitting on a hill you can adjust the straps to different lengths to keep you sitting upright. And they weigh less than a pound.
Alps makes a camo one. I found mine one sale two years ago for $14.99 each and bought two.......should have bought 10 of them.

You have sparked my interest, and I looked at that link and get the adjustability of that type seat, but one sincere question - What about comfort as that looks to have zero padding? Do you run it like it is or do you add a cushion to it? If so, what pad fits that configuration? Thanks for sharing your findings.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

lunghit

Quote from: WAGinVA on May 17, 2022, 08:03:28 AM
I love my Browning chair and can sit for hours very comfortably. It's 7 pounds and the weight gets to me when I have it slung on one shoulder and walking a distance. I am going to get a better two strap harness for it so I can wear it like a backpack.
"There's only so many spring mornings in a man's lifetime"

dublelung

I bought a couple of the Alps chairs a few months ago. They're very well made and seem to be much better quality than the ones I had before them. A little heavier to carry but the comfort is worth it.

bwhana

Agree with above posts and love my Alpz Backwoods for run and gun - nothing lighter for the comfort.  For longer, planned sits, I have tried them all, but came to love this ENO at 3.5 lbs for maximum comfort above all the rest.  https://eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/products/lounger-sl-chair

Dtrkyman

If I use a chair it is the Lafuma low chair, camping type chair weighs about the same as most cushions. sub 2lbs if I remember correctly.

Number17

Quote from: mountainhunter1 on May 17, 2022, 09:13:29 AM

You have sparked my interest, and I looked at that link and get the adjustability of that type seat, but one sincere question - What about comfort as that looks to have zero padding? Do you run it like it is or do you add a cushion to it? If so, what pad fits that configuration? Thanks for sharing your findings.
I did add a very thin butt pad. Maybe a 3/4" HD foam pad with a built in handle. It's nice to have if you need to kneel too. It's as comfortable as anything else I've ever used. I've never tried an actual gobbler lounger because I don't want to carry around 6-7lb clunky chair around with me. I strap the stadium chair to my pack and forget it's there until I need it.
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls

Tail Feathers

Quote from: mountainhunter1 on May 17, 2022, 09:13:29 AM

Those seats are immensely useful but not real comfortable.  If you are in your 30's go for it.  I kind of aged out of being able to love 'em anymore.  :)
ALPS has a padded version with shoulder straps and a small fold out to carry a call and strikers.  I have one and it works well.  Still, I usually carry a lounger and my grandson uses it.  I do use it for running and gunning and shorter sits.  Slide a bottle of water in it and take off.  It's about 3 lbs.   https://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/alps-nwtf-scout-chair-mossy-oay-obsession_2?msclkid=44388a1cfe021da3f376e89f520b251a
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

lunghit

Quote from: bwhana on May 17, 2022, 09:55:45 AM
Agree with above posts and love my Alpz Backwoods for run and gun - nothing lighter for the comfort.  For longer, planned sits, I have tried them all, but came to love this ENO at 3.5 lbs for maximum comfort above all the rest.  https://eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/products/lounger-sl-chair

How is this for a quick setup? Like a gobble real close and you have to get seated right away?
"There's only so many spring mornings in a man's lifetime"