Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

TSS 9s vs TSS 7/9 combo and choke constriction?

Started by McKelveyMX, May 16, 2022, 01:28:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McKelveyMX

Looking for the best possible setup to take turkeys across a broad range.  I will be shooting a Browning Cynergy Ultimate Turkey O/U.  Top barrel will be for 30 yards and in.  The bottom barrel will be for 30 yards and out.  Barrel length is 24".  Trying to decide on a Choke tube and constriction, and whether to shoot 12ga 3" TSS 9 or TSS 7/9 combo.  Anyone have 1st hand experience with a similar setup?

BandedSpur

First, the title of your post says TSS 9s vs 9x7s; the body of your post says TSS 7s vs 9x7s. Which is it? Unless you live in a state where straight 9s are not legal, you will be much better served with straight 9s vs straight 7s or 9x7s. TSS 7s are just not an appropriate shot size for turkeys - huge surplus in energy and penetration ability at the expense of a lot of pattern density. Straight 9s will kill much further than you should shoot. But if you cannot shoot straight 9s, I would prefer 9x7s to straight 7s all day every day.

While, I do not shoot a Cynergy, I have shot a 12 ga Beretta O/U since 2009. If you really only plan to use your open barrel out to 20 yards, I would be shooting cylinder choke and a quality trap load of lead 7.5s to give you the widest possible spread. For the "long" barrel, any turkey choke is going to give you very tight patterns at 20 yds. I would try your factory full, and it is still going to be very snug at 20.

I would suggest moving your crossover point out to 30 yds. Now you are looking at full choke with lead 7.5s or 6s for the open barrel (or mod if you choose to shoot TSS, but TSS is in no way required at 30 yrds from a 12 ga) and a proper turkey choke with TSS for shots over 30.

I personally use 40 yds as my crossover point, use a 1&1/4 oz handload of TSS 9s and a light mod in the open barrel. It has a very forgiving pattern at 20 but will still kill to 40 (110/10"). I use a Sumtoy .675 in the long barrel with a 1&5/8 oz load of TSS 9s. It is tight at 40 (345/10") and will reach out if necessary.

Good luck!

McKelveyMX

Sorry about the mix up, I posted this when I should've been sleeping. Thanks, that's great info!  Which barrel do you use for the longer shots, top or bottom?

ChesterCopperpot

I know from his posts and pictures the last few years that [mention]wchadw [/mention]has dialed in a wicked little O/U set up. He might have some thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BandedSpur

Quote from: McKelveyMX on May 16, 2022, 08:20:04 AM
Sorry about the mix up, I posted this when I should've been sleeping. Thanks, that's great info!  Which barrel do you use for the longer shots, top or bottom?

I use the under barrel as the "long" barrel. As stated in my above post, I load a heavier load of TSS for that barrel and a lighter load for the "short" barrel. Shooting the heavier load in the bottom barrel, the difference in POI between the two barrels is significantly less than if I shoot the heavier load from the top barrel. If you use identical shells in both barrels, it doesn't really matter which barrel is "long" and which is "short". But due to the nature of O/U barrel geometry, the top barrel will generate more felt recoil and muzzle rise than the bottom barrel.

Tom007

Ditto, long range choke for me on bottom. I only install a more open choke in the top if I am sitting over decoys. Most of the time, I troll for birds running & gunning. I use 2 long range chokes while on the move....
"Solo hunter"