OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Question About Enticer Turkey Pot Calls  (Read 3097 times)

Offline mountainhunter1

• The Boss Gobbler
Question About Enticer Turkey Pot Calls
« on: May 14, 2022, 10:53:09 AM »
I found a site and from the videos he has for demo of his calls, his work seems impressive. I like most of you, have some good pots, and there are guys like Mike Yingling, Buster, Vancise, Hollaran, Lonzo and so many others who whom we love their work, but what can you guys who mess with pots more than myself tell me about Mr. Al Holbert from Enticer Turkey Calls? His prices seem really reasonable and from his videos, they appear to be good running calls. What really caught my eye was that they were tuned well enough that you can run them from anywhere around the surface of the call because the entire surface one inch from the edge is a sweet spot. Can some of you speak on that from experience?

I am especially intrigued by his silver thunder extreme aluminum (really all three of his aluminum pots), and his Wet-one series, but what calls do you guys have experience with from Mr. Al and what are your thoughts on them? What ABOUT HIS STRIKERS, do you run his or do you run his pots with a striker from someone else.? If so, who's striker do you like with his calls? He also has a power slate series in two pot configurations that sounded good to me in his sound files. Thanks for any info that you can give to my inquiry about his pots.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

Offline jrinny

Re: Question About Enticer Turkey Pot Calls
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2022, 12:48:07 PM »
Al is a good guy. I have one of his silver hunter extremes in the corian pot. It is a good call - and really great option during the damp weather times. It sounds good on the dry days as well. As far as his strikers- I like his newer yellow jacket waterproof striker but I use a Halloran bloodwood on it except when it’s wet. It is one of the better wet weather options. Hope this helps

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2022, 12:51:07 PM »
The only call i have of his is the Pa. Thunder in a walnut pot with his laminated power striker.. In my opinion it's an average pot call at best. I just like custom pots from some of the other builders you mentioned a lot better. I know a lot of people do like his calls because of them playing wet.. I have a couple of these calls that will play wet, but you have to really ask yourself, just how many times are you really going to sit out in a rain storm and try to play a pot call... If it's raining to the point i need to take shelter, I'm either going to be in a blind or sitting on the front porch of the cabin watching it rain...  But again you will get lots of opinions about these calls and Al Holbert calls ... agree, waterproof strikers can play a lot of pot calls in damp weather depending on the surface.

Offline Beards and Hooks

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2022, 02:19:35 PM »
IMO Al's calls will play with the best of them and he's a great guy. I have 4-5 pots of his and just about all his strikers and for being two pieces strikers they are as good as they get, again just my opinion. I have his silver thunder extreme and it is my favorite aluminum call and you can play the Corian on the back as well, his Wet one glass is a favorite of mine as well. I suggest you order 1-3 of his pits and a few extra strikers and see how you like them.

Sent from my moto e6 using Tapatalk

Offline mountainhunter1

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2022, 02:27:53 PM »
IMO Al's calls will play with the best of them and he's a great guy. I have 4-5 pots of his and just about all his strikers and for being two pieces strikers they are as good as they get, again just my opinion. I have his silver thunder extreme and it is my favorite aluminum call and you can play the Corian on the back as well, his Wet one glass is a favorite of mine as well. I suggest you order 1-3 of his pits and a few extra strikers and see how you like them.

I appreciate the replies guys and hopefully a few more will chime in as well. That was a big part for me, he just seems like a good decent man, and his warranty on his glass pots for example is amazing. I may buy several, but I am almost certainly going to get the silver thunder extreme aluminum for sure, - and just out of curiosity, which of his strikers do you prefer Beards and Hooks for running his thunder extreme? I watched his videos and he has so many strikers to choose from that you might could save me some wasted effort there as far as which striker of his likes the aluminum. Thanks.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Offline mountainhunter1

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2022, 02:44:34 PM »
The only call i have of his is the Pa. Thunder in a walnut pot with his laminated power striker.. In my opinion it's an average pot call at best. I just like custom pots from some of the other builders you mentioned a lot better. I know a lot of people do like his calls because of them playing wet.. I have a couple of these calls that will play wet, but you have to really ask yourself, just how many times are you really going to sit out in a rain storm and try to play a pot call... If it's raining to the point i need to take shelter, I'm either going to be in a blind or sitting on the front porch of the cabin watching it rain...  But again you will get lots of opinions about these calls and Al Holbert calls ... agree, waterproof strikers can play a lot of pot calls in damp weather depending on the surface.

Like most, I probably don't need any calls, but this Mr. Al did intrigue me.  I agree with you about the rain, and while my butt getting wet does not bother me, but the older I get, I just hate to have to come home at the end of a long day and have to clean a soaking wet gun from the rain. I also have a very flexible work schedule where I can pull up and hunt the pretty days and skip the rainy ones.

I love to give out stuff like this around the holidays as a gift, yet buying a half dozen 90-120 dollar pots to give away adds up in a hurry. Mr. Al's are priced good and I could better afford giving out 60 dollar pots if they are worth a darn.  Anyway, I appreciate you sharing your thoughts.

Offline mountainhunter1

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2022, 02:46:37 PM »
Al is a good guy. I have one of his silver hunter extremes in the corian pot. It is a good call - and really great option during the damp weather times. It sounds good on the dry days as well. As far as his strikers- I like his newer yellow jacket waterproof striker but I use a Halloran bloodwood on it except when it’s wet. It is one of the better wet weather options. Hope this helps

Thanks for the tip on the bloodwood, I will make a note on that. Thanks for your help. I hope a few more guys might chime in about his pot calls.

Offline Beards and Hooks

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2022, 03:05:50 PM »
IMO Al's calls will play with the best of them and he's a great guy. I have 4-5 pots of his and just about all his strikers and for being two pieces strikers they are as good as they get, again just my opinion. I have his silver thunder extreme and it is my favorite aluminum call and you can play the Corian on the back as well, his Wet one glass is a favorite of mine as well. I suggest you order 1-3 of his pits and a few extra strikers and see how you like them. I just seen I have a striker with a thinner shaft not sure of the wood that sounds great on both sides as well maybe Al can help you with that, try giving him a call he's fun to talk too.

I appreciate the replies guys and hopefully a few more will chime in as well. That was a big part for me, he just seems like a good decent man, and his warranty on his glass pots for example is amazing. I may buy several, but I am almost certainly going to get the silver thunder extreme aluminum for sure, - and just out of curiosity, which of his strikers do you prefer Beards and Hooks for running his thunder extreme? I watched his videos and he has so many strikers to choose from that you might could save me some wasted effort there as far as which striker of his likes the aluminum. Thanks.
Hey no problem bud, just tried what I have and I like the ramen,birch,oak, and the laminated best on the front (Aluminum) in no specific order. To me on the Corian the birch and ramen were tops. If you do order extra strikers I suggest atleast one in the corncob variety, they are neat and think you'll like it . The double trouble I think it's called is a neat aluminum call as well but probly not needed if you have the silver thunder extreme, that wet one glass is nice as well. Looking forward to what you try out and how you like them!

Offline mountainhunter1

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2022, 07:05:50 PM »
IMO Al's calls will play with the best of them and he's a great guy. I have 4-5 pots of his and just about all his strikers and for being two pieces strikers they are as good as they get, again just my opinion. I have his silver thunder extreme and it is my favorite aluminum call and you can play the Corian on the back as well, his Wet one glass is a favorite of mine as well. I suggest you order 1-3 of his pits and a few extra strikers and see how you like them. I just seen I have a striker with a thinner shaft not sure of the wood that sounds great on both sides as well maybe Al can help you with that, try giving him a call he's fun to talk too.

Hey no problem bud, just tried what I have and I like the ramen,birch,oak, and the laminated best on the front (Aluminum) in no specific order. To me on the Corian the birch and ramen were tops. If you do order extra strikers I suggest atleast one in the corncob variety, they are neat and think you'll like it . The double trouble I think it's called is a neat aluminum call as well but probly not needed if you have the silver thunder extreme, that wet one glass is nice as well. Looking forward to what you try out and how you like them!

Appreciate the info, I will for sure get the silver thunder extreme, and will let you know what I think. I need something to mess around with in the off season. I figured that aged oak would be good on the front of the call and I think the laminate is the striker he sends in the pack if I read the description correctly, but I will also pick of several more of those you mentioned and also a carbon striker to go with it. I really liked the way the Corian back would do an excellent tree yelp as well as clucks and soft purrs. But that call will be impervious to water if it did happen to get wet.

I am still intrigued by the power slates he also offers, and maybe someone else will say something about them while this thread is at the top and being seen. One of the two power slates, The laminate, it seemed to have an appreciative rasp. I already have more pots than I can use, but it is always fun to try something new, and occasionally I will find a more reasonable priced call that can run right there with my more expensive ones. You never know until you give a call a shot. Thanks again for your help.

Offline Zobo

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • Nitwit Elitist Whiner
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2022, 09:42:34 PM »
I have Al's silver thunder extreme aluminum in corian and it sounds quite good, really as good as most. The only thing critical I would say is it is heavy. Now I'm partial to lightweight calls and some people couldn't care less so maybe it just me. I carry a lot of calls with me most times, so weight matters to me.  But otherwise, it's a pretty cool call, good looking, playable and I'd say worth it if you like what you see.  Also, he is very transparent about his products and is easy to deal with.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Offline BTH

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Proverbs 3:5-6. I like the snood!
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2022, 12:59:57 PM »
He is a good guy all the way around. Customer service is fantastic. I had one of his silver thunder extremes the only negative if I had to come up with any about that call was the weight of it. I had one of his ramen strikers I believe it was called. I did not like the sound of it. But I bought the call because of the call and not the striker.

My brother still runs his silver thunder extreme and loves it and has killed quite a few birds with it
Phil 4:13

Offline bonasa

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2022, 12:44:54 AM »
Silver thunder extreme aluminum and the carbon tip striker. Works great wet.

Offline lunghit

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2022, 11:05:05 AM »
Love my Silver Thunder Extreme.
"There's only so many spring mornings in a man's lifetime"

Offline mikejd

• Double Beard
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2022, 12:56:49 PM »
I have a glass in laminate pot. Had for a long time. This call has taken alot of birds. Due to newer calls it has not been out in a while so last night I loaded my bag for this weekend send its back in the lineup. It's the call I usually loan to a new hunter with no calls and has taken a few first birds.

Offline chbarnha

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
Question About Enticer Turkey Pot Calls
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2022, 04:41:22 AM »
Don’t count out the triple sidekick, I carry one all the time. And do yourself a favor and pick up a double trouble. For 20$ that call is amazing and never leaves my vest, as a matter of fact that is probably the only call that never gets swapped out of my vest l. The aluminum screams or can be toned down, and then the wood back will do good tree talk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shoot em in the pecker.... you know the beak