OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: New 20ga benelli (help me decide)  (Read 5015 times)

Offline darron

New 20ga benelli (help me decide)
« on: May 13, 2022, 02:25:28 PM »
I am going to break down and buy me a 20ga benelli over summer. I am torn between the M2 and the new SBE3. Is the SBE3 worth an extra $300-400? Seems like the only difference between the two is how they come apart? This will also be used for upland game (mostly dove hunting)

Online Gobbler428

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Spurs Up
Re: New 20ga benelli (help me decide)
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2022, 10:15:47 PM »
I do not know much about the M2 but I just bought a 20ga SBE3 and it is one nice gun, I bought mine to turkey hunt with and after using it this past season will most likely retire my 12ga SBE2. You need to be aware that the SBE3 20ga is not and cannot be drilled and taped, thus, if you want to put a scope on it you will need to do so by other means. I put a rail mounted red dot on mine. I can't say if its worth the extra $'s vs the M2 but I really like mine and would not hesitate to use it on dove/upland game. I don't think you could go wrong with either one.

Offline Rockhound

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2022, 04:04:39 PM »
Either or in my opinion. I think the sbe3 20 is the best feeling gun in the world. I bought one in optifade timber/tungsten cerakote. I wish they made 24" or shorter barrels though.

Offline KZONE

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2022, 06:17:36 PM »
If it’s gonna be a dedicated turkey gun buy the M2 and put the extra money into a good red dot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline darron

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2022, 05:15:27 PM »
That’s another thing…I want to use the bead no red dot.
Does the m2 and SBE3 hit true to aim?

Offline runngun

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2022, 01:14:36 PM »
@Darron, I know that each and every gun is different,  but my point of aim/point of impact was the same for the Benelli M2.

Have a good one
Bo

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Offline RLAG

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2022, 03:34:34 PM »
I've heard a lot of people complain that the sbe3 shoots high relative to point of aim. Might want to do some reading on that and see what others have to say on it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Offline AndyN

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2022, 11:12:33 AM »
That’s another thing…I want to use the bead no red dot.
Does the m2 and SBE3 hit true to aim?
My M2 is perfect left/right but shoots 5-6" high with Apex 9s and LBXR 6s. Put it where skin meets feathers and it's been a dead bird every time. I did shoot some LBXR 5s that would have completely missed the bird with that same hold.

Offline Kyle_Ott

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2022, 11:58:47 AM »
If you were talking waterfowl, I'd say the SBE3 because of how easy they are to clean.

But we are talking about turkeys.  The M2 has a solid, one piece receiver which is a huge benefit if you're going to drill and tap it for a red dot.  It's also a proven work horse that's notorious for throwing impressive patterns.

I've got 2 M2 20 gauges.  One has the standard 24" compact barrel and the other has a barrel that was cut down by comp' n choke to 19".  Both guns run Indian Creek .555s with 330+ pattern densities.

I know a guy with with the SBE 3 20 ga and he would love to wrap it around a tree.  Patterns are terrible and there's limited metal to actually tap into on the top of the receiver.

Offline Mathews.1

• Longbeard
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2022, 12:01:40 PM »
M2 for me with a sumtoy .562 awesome combination

Offline PALongspur

• Longbeard
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2022, 03:01:40 PM »
My choice would be the M2. I’ve got two of them and they’re both proven killers. Both of mine shoot POA so I don’t use optics.

Offline ragin-cajun

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2022, 09:43:32 AM »
  consider your mount of choice. if you use a rear 2-hole mount like a Burris set up, its irrelevant. I prefer the 4-hole-Scalarworks mount (w/Aimpoint) that's on my 12g SBE. i sent my M2 to RRoberts recently to have it drill/tapped and smith said he was hesitant to mount Scarlarworks on the M2 (thin top receiver especially up front). maybe the SBE is similar to the drilled/tapped Franchi (which works w/ 4 hole and I purchased).
Wild Turkey

Offline Guskie

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2022, 04:42:02 PM »
My gunsmith was also hesitant to drill/tap my M2 for the scalarworks mount. He said the metal very thin for the front screws. I ended up using a sumtoy mount

Offline SumToy

• Double Beard
    • sumtoycustoms
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2022, 06:09:38 PM »
M2 all the way.   I never figured the reason for the SBE in 20ga.   In 12 you go to 3.5 chamber but in 20 you all the same.   :z-twocents:
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Offline DBuck90

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2022, 08:25:16 PM »
I have an M2 and I do very much enjoy it but after I purchased a Retay I don’t believe I will be going back to my benelli that’s just my opinion but I liked the Retay 10 times more than my benelli