OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: 2022 Strut Stopper Story Thread  (Read 5336 times)

Offline bornagain64

• Longbeard
Re: 2022 Strut Stopper Story Thread
« Reply #60 on: May 16, 2022, 03:28:10 PM »
Nice job, congrats.

Offline wvhoyt19

« Reply #61 on: May 17, 2022, 06:18:19 AM »
Congrats!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Turkeyman

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #62 on: May 20, 2022, 09:38:06 AM »
I was having a frustrating start of the season here in NY. I hunted May 1,2,3 and, although among birds every day, all I could get to come in were a few hens and a couple jakes. Toms were there but wouldn't leave their hens. Gobbling like crazy telling me to join them but that was it. Out again May 6,7,8 and the same thing...amongst them but couldn't get a tom to leave the hens. So I decided to give them some time and didn't go out again until this past Monday the 16th. I know this 30 acre patch of timber quite well so set up in the dark. A couple toms started gobbling, plus a hen close behind me started tree yelping. I couldn't do anything until she flew down, which she did, sailing out into a field. One of the toms flew out to her. Then I started calling and got a gobble from a previously quiet bird about 150 yards away. He came in, with another silent tom, and they passed by me out of range then out of sight. I was able to call them back...this time only 35 yards away and I shot him. 17.8#, 10" beard and inch spurs.

An "As Found" picture.

I hunted the same area the next day and, although hearing a couple, couldn't get them in. So I left there and went to another area about 30 miles away where I've had success in the past for a Wed. the 18th hunt. I was set up before gobbling time and one gobbled about 100 yards away. I tree yelped on my trumpet...he really liked it. Pretty much non-stop gobbles for about 20 minutes. Came in just out of sight and left! Gobbling steadily until out of earshot. Obviously he was on a mission and wasn't going to be deterred.

I started moving around a bit and raised another a couple hours later. Closed in on him a bit, called and he was coming in quickly. There was a large rocky knob about 20 feet high 50 yards in front of me and I expected him to come around it. No...he and another tom appeared right on top of it! He was fanned out in the bright sunlight...absolutely beautiful. It was steep and I figured they'd come down either side which was far less steep. No...they came straight down toward me! He met his demise at 30 yards.

Another "As Found" pic.

Online aclawrence

• Longbeard
« Reply #63 on: May 20, 2022, 09:52:55 AM »
Nice. Congrats again!

Offline birdman67

« Reply #64 on: May 20, 2022, 10:33:08 AM »
Congratulations!
Loving God's Creation!

Offline bornagain64

• Longbeard
« Reply #65 on: May 23, 2022, 04:44:43 PM »
Congrats.

Offline dzsmith

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #66 on: May 24, 2022, 09:11:19 AM »
congrats to all you guys who have made it happen in your later seasons. its long gone here, I enjoyed the contest again this year. cant wait until next year. yal stay safe this year...tough times are ahead im afraid, so stay vigilante and trust the lord.
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

Offline Kygobblergetter

« Reply #67 on: May 25, 2022, 01:12:37 PM »
Really enjoyed reading all of your stories. Congrats everyone on a good season!

Offline turkey harvester

• Longbeard
« Reply #68 on: May 25, 2022, 02:12:15 PM »
It’s been rough for some that’s for  sure, but some great hunting for others. Memories have been for first timers and old timers.  I’ve enjoyed hearing the awesome stories and seeing the pictures. You guys are a great bunch of fellow turkey addicts and we make a great team. Looking forward to the 2023 strut stoppers!! Keep in touch.
TURKEY NUT CUSTOM STRIKERS- Jeffrey Thompson-Owner.  Kathleen,GA
 Hunt with your kids, not for them.

Hunt with your kids, not for them.

Offline bornagain64

• Longbeard
« Reply #69 on: May 26, 2022, 02:57:43 PM »
I agree, I enjoyed this year and hearing how everyone was doing. I was a little busier than I would have liked, but that life sometimes. Already looking forward to the deer woods and next year for turkey.

Everyone stay safe.

John

Online aclawrence

• Longbeard
« Reply #70 on: June 06, 2022, 01:39:26 PM »
Hope y’all have a great summer.  I enjoyed being on the team again. I’m looking forward to next season.  The two birds I missed will be nagging at me all year until the next kick off. I knows there’s lots of talk of social media pressure and bird declines but I had a pretty great season. I can’t complain.

Offline Turkeyman

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #71 on: June 07, 2022, 08:30:50 AM »
I enjoyed being on the team as well and am looking forward to next spring.

Still fooling with birds though. Near home is a patch of timber which is a no-hunting area...but calling ain't hunting so I'm having fun with them. One tom...a really good one, four jakes and several hens. I need practice with my wingbone and trumpet so that's what I'm using. So far they like it! Back again tomorrow morning. What will be interesting to see is just when he quits gobbling.

Online aclawrence

• Longbeard
« Reply #72 on: June 07, 2022, 09:19:13 AM »
I enjoyed being on the team as well and am looking forward to next spring.

Still fooling with birds though. Near home is a patch of timber which is a no-hunting area...but calling ain't hunting so I'm having fun with them. One tom...a really good one, four jakes and several hens. I need practice with my wingbone and trumpet so that's what I'm using. So far they like it! Back again tomorrow morning. What will be interesting to see is just when he quits gobbling.
I used my trumpet a good bit this year. I didn’t call any birds to the gun with it yet but I’m getting more confident with it. Have fun with those off limit turkeys.