OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Call recommendations  (Read 1295 times)

Offline calebric85

Call recommendations
« on: May 08, 2022, 12:14:23 PM »
I’m looking to make my daddy a pot call for his birthday. He doesn’t have a glass pot, and likes the sound they make. Since I don’t have a lathe, I bought a precut 3.5” bocote pot from brook side game calls. I have the glass but am stumped on what sound board material and size to pick to make the best sounding call I can possibly put together. Also any advice on the best way to finish the actual bocote pot. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: Call recommendations
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2022, 12:24:56 PM »
I’m looking to make my daddy a pot call for his birthday. He doesn’t have a glass pot, and likes the sound they make. Since I don’t have a lathe, I bought a precut 3.5” bocote pot from brook side game calls. I have the glass but am stumped on what sound board material and size to pick to make the best sounding call I can possibly put together. Also any advice on the best way to finish the actual bocote pot. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
  Just do a search of the forum and you will find lots of information on what your looking for ...........

Offline outdoors

• Limbhanger
  • 2015 forum supporter. “Outta’ the Woods”
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2022, 02:22:06 PM »
There's kits on eBay  all you do is sand it and put a finish on it
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Offline calebric85

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2022, 02:43:12 PM »
I’ve made a few already, and are using leftover stuff. I have the pot and playing surface. I’m just seeing if anyone had made a bocote glass pot and what size and material sound board would make the best sound

Offline M,Yingling

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • In The Hills, PA
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2022, 05:41:34 PM »
if using a 3.5 play surface use a 3in sound board i would try a glass sound board   ,,, as for finish use a minwax lacquer spray and if wanted use sanding sealer first  bocote is oily wood  first 2 light coats   can buy spray cans lowes   sand between each coat with 320 grit paper
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
 https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey