OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Brought em in with a box,killed em or % wise finished with a mouth call  (Read 1713 times)

Offline Happy hooker

• The Boss Gobbler
My favorite way to call is with a beautiful box call in my hands,,think hard about sleeping in on those light rain drizzly mourning s when I might not be able to box em,,even so I've still killed very few birds ,"close" 40 yds and in finishing the deal with a box I find I just have switch to a mouth call or get spotted.
I realize it depends on the cover your in but for all you dedicated heavyweight boxers what percentage of the birds you do get started and finished with your boxes vs switching to something for the finnish kill???

Offline Spring Creek Calls

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • Spring Creek Turkey Calls
Nearly every bird I've killed in the last 20 years have been that exact way, start with the box and finish with a diaphragm. This morning I broke that tradition by calling up a gobbler with only a trumpet, and a little scratching in the leaves.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

Offline Sim1982

Killed one Saturday by working him all the way in with a preacher man snake wood sassafras box.

Online Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
First bird this year was all box from the time his feet hit the ground til he expired.

Second bird this year was all diaphragm.

I mix it up all the time.............whether out of necessity or just because I feel like it.  But, typically, a bird I start with the box will get switched to a diaphragm before he comes into sight, just because.   
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Offline ferocious calls

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
9 toms start to finish last season. Just this morning I played with a hen for 40 min. She was at 4 ft at one point. Each time she got behind cover, clucks on the box would bring her around again. It was more fun than some of the Tom harvests.

Offline Cut N Run

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • North Carolina
Re: Brought em in with a box,killed em or % wise finished with a mouth call
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2022, 06:17:06 PM »
I strike 'em with a box and finish with a pot, diaphragm, or leaf scratching.  It's a deadly combination. 

I've only killed 4-5 from start to finish with a box.  Been busted too often to keep trying box only.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Offline HookedonHooks

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • You gotta keep on keepin' on.
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2022, 07:56:42 PM »
Sitting against a tree, started and finished a bird with only a box for the first time for me in Nebraska this year. The extremely high winds and my buddy on the trigger were definitely very helpful factors. I felt pretty satisfied with the experience. I've cut diaphragms out of my arsenal entirely for several years now, and it's probably cost me a couple birds, but I thoroughly enjoy the challenge it brings and still shoot my fair share.

Online Gobbler428

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Spurs Up
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2022, 07:21:12 AM »
Several years ago I quit carrying a diaphragm and went strictly to a box or a trumpet and sometimes a combination of the two. I really enjoy the challange of getting him in less than 40yds with these two calls from start to finish.

Offline Prospector

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2022, 08:43:15 AM »
I use a box. Slate. Rarely mouth call. Hunt anything from 40-80 acre fields , power lines, food plots, open timber to close timber and thickets. Have found that if you can see him but he’s out of range and you call, 9 times out of 10 he eyeballs you and won’t commit/hangs up… therefore, have not really seen the benefit of a mouth “ to keep movement down”. I can voice call esp purrs and soft yelps which I have used to get a head up for a hi percentage shot. If I was better on a diaphragm I can understand using it and keeping movement at a minimum for a sneaky bird/one who appears unexpectedly but in my experience working a bird with any calls when he can see your position is risky and probably will result in a good Turkey hunt… but no bird to ride home with….
No matter how good you call, how good your gun patterns or how woodswise you are, you can’t kill him if he ain’t there….

Online Zobo

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • It's about the journey, not the outcome
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2022, 10:33:27 PM »
I’ve killed quite a few with just a box call. I use trumpets and pots too but not diaphragm calls. They make me gag and remind me of getting X-rays at the dentist’s office.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14