OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Cold wet miserable yet rewarding morning  (Read 1107 times)

Offline Sim1982

Cold wet miserable yet rewarding morning
« on: May 07, 2022, 01:37:47 PM »
Decided to brave the elements this morning and go hunt in the pouring down rain. Was quiet till about 6:15 when the first gobbler sounded off. Reached for my crystal over red slate tulipwood pot call and seen the moisture had gotten to the surface so I brought out the preacher man snake wood over sassafras short box. Did a series of cuts and yelps and soon after had 2 gobblers hammering in woods behind me. As I’m looking back in there direction a hen and jake come walking 5 yards in front of me walking the field edge cutting at my decoys. Then I hear spitting and drumming and soon after a big long beard comes strutting spitting and drumming into my decoys. The .410 made quick work of him. Ended up having to stay in my blind an extra 2 hours due to being covered in turkeys not wanting to spook them. I had a flock of 11 jakes come charging in and did a number on my poor jake decoy. Great morning in the wet turkey wood seen 5 long beards 11 jakes and several hens. Gobbler had 11” beard and 1 1/4 spurs

Offline eddie234

• Longbeard
Re: Cold wet miserable yet rewarding morning
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2022, 02:22:22 PM »
Sounds like a good day

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Offline Twowithone

• Longbeard
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2022, 08:30:56 AM »
Congrats for staying at it looks like it payed off for you.
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

Offline Sim1982

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2022, 09:11:19 AM »
Thanks…. I was surprised by how many birds I saw In them conditions. It just goes to show if you have a blind you can hunt to stay somewhat dry it’s well worth giving it a shot. I’m tagged out in Maryland now so the remaining 2 1/2 weeks of season I will be calling for my buddies

Offline Turkeybutt

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2022, 08:53:47 AM »
Congratulations!
Persistence, Perseverance, paid off.