OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

West Augusta's not so exciting hunt log.

Started by West Augusta, May 07, 2022, 11:15:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

West Augusta

Two days of cold rain has kept me in.  Dang, I hate hard, cold rain.  A light warm rain is great but not this. 
I only have 2 properties that I can hunt.  One is 108 acres which usually holds about 5 gobblers and I would give my left arm to save.  The other is 80 acres and isn't quite as good but have harvested some quality birds there.   This year, neither is holding birds.  No sign at all.  The birds are all across the property line where I can't go.   :character0029:

I am "patiently" waiting them out.   Friday, I was within 150 yards of the roost tree but wasn't where he wanted to go yet.  Soon I hope.

If things don't break soon, there is some public ground that I plan on visiting next week.
This is killing me not finding birds that will play.   Had a hen going for 45 minutes on Friday.  Not a gobble one.

Good luck and hunt safe y'all.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

guesswho

Stay after them.  Turkey hunting as you know can go from horse turds to rosebuds in a matter of seconds, or visa versa.   Good luck!
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Happy

As long as you are having fun stay after them. I went out this morning before daylight and dozed in the truck, hoping to catch a break from the high winds and rain but no dice. Then my niece texted and needed some work done on her car and the oil needed changed in mine and the wife's trucks so I just went home and took care of those things. Tomorrow is shaping up to look a little better.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

crow

This rain is nasty, it didn't start yesterday where I was at until on the 4hr drive home, bad enough driving in it, started the wood stove back up to offset the north wind that came with the rain.

Bring on the rosebuds, I've had enough of horseturd soup to last the rest of the season  :newmascot:

GobbleGitr

It certainly has been a wet, cold, windy spring across my part of the country (midwest)...but now this week it will be in the 90's all of a sudden.  Can't seem to win the weather game.  Hope the birds start moving into properties you are hunting soon!

eggshell

Sounds very familar. All my hunting has been just like yours. I found all of two birds that would work and one died and the other I messed up when I sat down in line with a blowdown and had to watch him through the brush for 45 minutes before a hen came and led him away. I have heard the same complaints a hundred times so far this spring. The people killing birds are mostly field and ambush hunters.

West Augusta

Was hunting with a buddy yesterday and had a HUGE gobbler at 58 yards.  He saw something, folded up and ran.

Today, had a gobbler at 80 yards strutting with a hen. 

Conditions may be looking up.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

West Augusta

Today got better.   Much better.

Hey Guesswho,  this call look familiar? 

West Augusta

This morning I got close to the roost.  WAY too close.  Only a good sized red oak between me and the gobbler and 2 hens.  He pitched off the roost first and went high.  The two hens went low.  I gave a few yelps and clucks on a Firedup Yelp R and one of the hens went nuts.  He soon came down the hill to find her.  I was in the way.  Thanks LT and Ronnie for a great call.

JeffC

Way to go WA, great bird, they some HOOKS
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

guesswho

Quote from: West Augusta on May 10, 2022, 10:02:58 AM

Today got better.   Much better.

Hey Guesswho,  this call look familiar?
Yes sir, it does ;D.   Man, that's a hoss.   Congrats and well done :icon_thumright:
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

crow

Oh yeah, congrats on a really nice one

West Augusta

Heard 5 today.  Set up and moved on 2 of them.  They both RAN AWAY.  Was it something I said?   :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

guesswho

Probably smelled you.   You should rub some hen poop behind your ears and approach them from downwind.
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

West Augusta