OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Got Duped  (Read 950 times)

Offline TKE921

Got Duped
« on: May 06, 2022, 07:50:47 PM »

I try my absolute best to never shoot a jake if I can verify he is such.  This year it is possible I have seen more jakes than all my years of chasing these birds combined.  This guy started hammering @ 6 on the nose ( about 100 yards across an old strip mine road and up the hill from me ) and gobbled 30 or more times by 6:10 when his girlfriend flew down from a pine tree much closer to me.  Based on his gobble through my walker's game ears I  felt sure he was not a jake and decided to play the game.  I got set up against a tree, with my back to a very steep dropoff and 60 yards of mostly grassy road in front of me.  There was a small clump of pines diagonal to my right about 40 yards and a clump of some as yet to be identified tree diagonal to my left 40 yards.

I made a few soft yelps and scratched in the leaves which he liked but as soon as the hen flew down the gobbling came to an abrupt halt.  I figured there was a 50/50 shot she would either go up the hill and continue with him in that direction or they would come down to the road and go where they most likely wanted to.  I decided they both knew where I was and my best bet was to keep quiet and see if they came down the hill toward me.  After about 10 min I saw both of them walking down the hill, headed toward the road and about to head out of my sight as I was technically positioned just below road level.  I lost sight of them for another 10 min and at this point I decided they had to be in the road somewhere so I turned in their general direction and let out a series of yelps and cuts, hoping he would be willing to come peek over the rise to see what may be there.  Thirty seconds later I saw a pristine white and blue head pop up over the rise @ 30 paces...a loud boom, a putting and flying hen, and a stone dead turkey finished off the morning @ 6:40am.  I am glad to have had a fun and interesting hunt but sad the bird with the nice gobble ended up being a jake with 1/2" spurs.

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
Re: Got Duped
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2022, 08:01:05 PM »
I don’t set out to shoot jakes. And when I can identify them as such, I don’t. Period. But we’ve all had jakes that gobbled and strutted and played the game well as any two year olds. And when that head crests the rise, you can either pull and hear a boom or hold and hear a putt. You know how most of us play that game. Congrats on a fun and memorable hunt.

**also, how you like them game ears?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline TKE921

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2022, 08:29:24 PM »
PM sent on the game ears

Offline zelmo1

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • Take a Newbie Hunting
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2022, 06:24:32 AM »
It will taste great. Congrats

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2022, 07:51:03 AM »
Very very few Turkey hunters if any, have never harvested a Jake. Sounded like an enjoyable hunt, congrats….it will make fine table-fare…..enjoy
“Solo hunter”

Offline Wisgobbler

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2022, 04:40:37 PM »
He’s gonna taste great and it sounds like you had an enjoyable hunt.  I did the same thing in Kansas a few years ago. I was really disappointed but I had a great hunt with a really good friend and lots of turkey poppers to console myself with. I was thinking about those game ears this morning. I’d also like to know how well they work. 

Offline Kygobblergetter

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2022, 06:19:52 PM »
I have had more gobbling jake encounters this year than ever in the past. It happens but as long as you enjoyed the hunt that’s all that matters! On the bright side next year is looking to be real good!