OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Tube Call vs Box Call  (Read 1750 times)

Offline kingofspringmi

Tube Call vs Box Call
« on: May 06, 2022, 04:51:30 PM »
Ever since I’ve joined Old Gobbler I’ve read nothing but good things about tube calls. I looked a little into it and it just seems like a more versatile version of a box call. Do I have that right? Besides how to operate the call, what are the big differences? Are both worth taking out to the field, or does one replace the other?

Truthfully, I never heard of a tube call until this year, which surprised me considering I’ve been turkey hunting for over ten years.

Thanks y’all, and safe hunting

Offline USMC0331

• Longbeard
Re: Tube Call vs Box Call
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2022, 05:17:10 PM »
 A tube call is a excellent call to carry and is very versatile. The box call is going as well because that stinking bird might only like a specific sound and or tone . Lister to Mark Prudhomme and Justin Roper using a tube call.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Offline tal

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2022, 05:35:08 PM »
 A tube call can make any vocalization of a turkey. As already mentioned on any given day who knows what will turn his head.

Offline mspaci

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2022, 07:36:51 PM »
Ive been tubbin a long time. Birds just respond to them. They are a different sound. I like them a little goose sounding. I carry several tubes & boxes all the time. Mike

Online Zobo

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • It's about the journey, not the outcome
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2022, 08:04:58 PM »
     A tube call is very different animal than a box call, I don't see the connection. I think you could make an argument that a scratchbox is a more versatile version of a box call, even though I don't personally believe that to be true.
      For me versatility largely depends on the call itself and the skill and experience of the builder and user. For example, I have a very high quality onesider box call that runs straight and true everytime and is remarkably consistent in sound but not versatile. However, I have a longbox that has many different sounding hen clucks, cuts, yelps, gobbler yelps, even purrs built into it... IF you have the skill to bring them out. But they're both essentially the same type of call.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2022, 08:23:06 PM »
     A tube call is very different animal than a box call, I don't see the connection. I think you could make an argument that a scratchbox is a more versatile version of a box call, even though I don't personally believe that to be true.
      For me versatility largely depends on the call itself and the skill and experience of the builder and user. For example, I have a very high quality onesider box call that runs straight and true everytime and is remarkably consistent in sound but not versatile. However, I have a longbox that has many different sounding hen clucks, cuts, yelps, gobbler yelps, even purrs built into it... IF you have the skill to bring them out. But they're both essentially the same type of call.
I second all of this. I don’t see any connection at all between a tube and a box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Terry

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2022, 08:31:07 PM »
I don’t use box calls but if I did it would be to strike a gobbler. Which is what I use a tube for. So maybe the connection is that they’re both capable of good volume and do well shocking a gobble out of a stubborn one??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline kingofspringmi

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2022, 09:22:03 PM »
Yes, the connection is the volume and distance that the call travels. I've been running the same box long enough that I'm able to get clucks and cutts from it, although they may not sound as good as a mouth call. I use a box until the turkey is almost visible to me.

Offline EZ

• Double Beard
  • Gobble THIS!!!
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2022, 05:56:19 AM »
A tube call is a excellent call to carry and is very versatile. The box call is going as well because that stinking bird might only like a specific sound and or tone . Lister to Mark Prudhomme and Justin Roper using a tube call.

That's not really a fair assessment of a call by listening to Mark run it. He could make a soup can sound great, lol!!!

I agree, tube calls have a unique sound that turkeys love.

Offline USMC0331

• Longbeard
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2022, 06:54:25 AM »

That's not really a fair assessment of a call by listening to Mark run it. He could make a soup can sound great, lol!!!

I agree, tube calls have a unique sound that turkeys love.
Fact!