OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Tuffy .410 18.5 barrel?

Started by Dtrkyman, May 05, 2022, 09:44:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dtrkyman

Anyone have one, patterns?   Looking into a crazy light option!  18.5 seems crazy short.

Curtdawg88

There's been discussion on it on this board but I don't recall seeing patterns. It has a fixed barrel so that he probably deterred many. I have the Turkey Tuffy with the 26" barrel and interchangeable chokes and it is incredibly light  and throws good patterns with the factory X full choke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Life is tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid."

30_06

I would have preferred the 18.5" barrel, but the fixed choke deterred me. I went with the 26", it shoots well and is less than 4lbs.

Esse quam videri

Dtrkyman

Realistically I would likely buy the 26 inch.  Just curious if anyone tested it at all?

They need to make a Tuffy 20 ga at 4.5ish lbs!!!   I really don't want to buy .410 loading components!

Lucky Clucker

They make one. I purchased 20 Tiffy and it patterns great .but kicks like a 12.
Hunt every day as if it were your last.

Lucky Clucker

They make one. I purchased 20 Tiffy and it patterns great .but kicks like a 12.
Hunt every day as if it were your last.

Fl strutter

If anyone is interested I have a new unused egw red dot mount for tuffy that I don't need. It's a rmr footprint but will also fit holosuns. Will sell at good price just pm if interested

krm944

Can the 18.5 inch barrel be threaded for chokes? Could the top of the barrel be drilled for a red dot base?

This would be an ultra lightweight turkey gun!

EastKyGobblerSlayer

I just bought one of the turkey tuffy that came with a factory turkey choke, what they don't really advertise is this one can have a LOP adjustment because there's a spacer in it. Hands down the better option in my book, fits my seven year old perfectly and when he grows or doesn't want to hunt I can use it as well.

quackaddict

I have, or I guess my 5yo has, one of the little 18.5" models. I patterned it last weekend with some federal #9s and it's stretching it at 25 yards. And, it shoots a solid 12-15" high.

I've seriously contemplated seeing if I can have it drilled/tapped, but I don't expect it to be used but for another year or two.

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

krm944

Quote from: quackaddict on March 09, 2023, 09:20:10 PM
I have, or I guess my 5yo has, one of the little 18.5" models. I patterned it last weekend with some federal #9s and it's stretching it at 25 yards. And, it shoots a solid 12-15" high.

I've seriously contemplated seeing if I can have it drilled/tapped, but I don't expect it to be used but for another year or two.

My son has one as well. His shoots pretty close to POA. It shoots a slug REALLY well!

I'm not a machinist, is there enough material on the top of the barrel to drill tap? Do the 26" turkey guns that have the rail have a larger outer diameter barrel?

ShortMagFan

It's not a Tuffy but I had Sumtoy cut down an old H&R .410 to 18" and thread it. With Boss 10s I got 198 in the 10". It's also tapped for a FF3. It barely longer than my arm. So short barrels can work

krm944

Quote from: ShortMagFan on March 12, 2023, 04:36:06 PM
It's not a Tuffy but I had Sumtoy cut down an old H&R .410 to 18" and thread it. With Boss 10s I got 198 in the 10". It's also tapped for a FF3. It barely longer than my arm. So short barrels can work

Do you know what thread pattern the 410 can be threaded to? Is it a common thread that will allow testing a variety of chokes?

ShortMagFan

Sumtoy's 410 tap is unique. But he makes chokes for it. As does Comp n choke (I have one), and, according to Sumtoy, Kicks and Jebs too, though I have not confirmed that. The thread pattern is damn close to short invector, but the OD is a smidge smaller. So a short invector choke looks like it would work until you go to screw it in