OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Rather Happy  (Read 1560 times)

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Rather Happy
« on: May 05, 2022, 07:59:52 PM »
I am rather happy with how things went today, I have been trying to get some decent pictures of wild turkey for a few years now and today I was able to. They are not magazine quality, but they are the best I have gotten by far.

These turkey and the deer came to my calling around 6:30 this morning, which also made me feel good because I am using three calls that I have made/assembled myself as well as some strikers that I have also assembled. I was fearful the deer would smell me and start blowing at me as it was coming in ruining my opportunity for photos.

If there is one thing I do not like is there is a bit of noise in the pictures because the silent setting for the camera will not let me make my own adjustments, if I did not think the sound of the shutter would scare the turkey away I would be shooting in manual mode or maybe shutter priority mode both of which would give me more options.

Here are a couple of the pictures, I have room to improve but I really am very happy. Last one shows them slowly making their departure.

By the way, no I did not even bother to reach for my gun, these came out at 6:30 and I knew going in I wanted pictures quite badly. I had another that I called in around 9:30 and I was getting ready to shoot but realized that I had some stuff to do today and I was not sure I could get the turkey slaughtered and get myself cleaned up in time to do what I had to do. I only wish I had realized that sooner, I could have tried to shoot in manual mode as he was coming in from a distance and may not have heard the shutter. He eventually calmly walked off into the woods.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2022, 08:49:55 PM by Sir-diealot »
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
Re: Rather Happy
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2022, 08:17:20 PM »
Man, those are great! Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online g8rvet

• Double Beard
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2022, 08:33:24 PM »
Excellent pics!
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2022, 08:45:08 PM »
Man, those are great! Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you very much, there are more, I did not want to flood anybody that may have a slower computer or phone though.

Excellent pics!
Thank you. Hey do you know if maybe my decoy setup was bad? I had them set about 20 yards in front of me spaced out and I had honestly expected if anything came in they would stay near the decoys but these dropped down to the left before they ever even fanned out? I lost so much time there are things I just don't know and I was wondering if I should change the decoy setup in the future so my photos could be more forward of me instead of to the left where they got into the higher corn stubble. Thanks and here is a picture of the setup if it helps.

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Offline paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2022, 12:56:37 PM »
Well done, Steve. Photographing wildlife is a huge challenge, you did good work!
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2022, 06:31:49 PM »
Well done, Steve. Photographing wildlife is a huge challenge, you did good work!
Thank you very much.

John Koenig:

Offline Cowboy

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2022, 06:41:07 PM »
I like the pics. Good job.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2022, 06:44:04 PM »
I like the pics. Good job.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Thanks, I was nervous about sharing them here, y'all know good from bad and I don't quite think these qualify as good but better than my last attempt.

John Koenig:

Online g8rvet

• Double Beard
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2022, 08:15:52 PM »
You got them in close.  The only thing I tend to do when field hunting is face the decoys right at me. I think if the gobbler is interested, they want to cut the hen off and they head the way the hen is headed.  I also am hunting and want the gobbler facing away from me.  I have sat and enjoyed the show more than a few times before pulling the trigger. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2022, 09:27:13 PM »
You got them in close.  The only thing I tend to do when field hunting is face the decoys right at me. I think if the gobbler is interested, they want to cut the hen off and they head the way the hen is headed.  I also am hunting and want the gobbler facing away from me.  I have sat and enjoyed the show more than a few times before pulling the trigger.
Thanks bud. To be honest this was the first time I have had them dancing in front of me so it was a real thrill and I think a big part of why I was shaking as I was taking the pictures. They gobbled a bit on the way in but not much once they got there. I have seen them at distance across the field but never within 20 yards of me.
The one I got a few years ago they gobbled a lot from a distance but then just ran right in as a pair and I had to pick my safe shot. The most they did would not even be called half strut, more like a quarter strut.

John Koenig: