OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Striker Wood

Started by long spurs, February 13, 2011, 07:31:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

long spurs

I had 2 great strikers that were on opposite ends of the spectrum according to the amount of rasp they had but they seemed to jump out of my vest while chasing turkeys.  I can not for the life of me remember what types of wood they were. I am looking for ideas on different types of wood that would make a clear yelp and real raspy yelp. I have a zebra wood that I'm not impressed with and of course I didn't lose that one.

Devastator

i would highly recommend an agate dymondwood striker from lightsout.
his company is in the links at the top of the page.

Longbeardfever4ever

When I make strikers usually the weight of the striker determines the clearness and the raspyness.. but wood types do affect the sound.  The three strikers I will carry this spring will be a lighter balanced purpleheart, a perfectly balanced colorwood, and an aluminum peg waterproof striker. But if I really wanted a clear yelp and a raspy yelp, I would carry a red cedar and a purpleheart. Just my two cents.
Hook's Custom Calls
Keep The Fever Custom Calls
Romans 3:24

paboxcall

The two that jump from my vest are a whittled osage and a whittled maple striker.  I carry a bunch more, but those two get 98% of the work.

John
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer