OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: NY season  (Read 1960 times)

Offline bonasa

NY season
« on: May 02, 2022, 07:49:52 PM »
Fortunately or unfortunately 2022 turkey season came to an end. Not a lot of time to preseason scout but enough to find some birds on farms that had limited entry. Youth season we were able to put a bird to bed, gave a good show for the young man along with several others that came in. He was able to connect on a fat jake.

Going against my better judgement found me in the same bottom as the youth hunter for the opener as I knew it had ZERO pressure. Went back to the same point and was about to sit down and saw a lone blob in a tree about 75 yds out. A quick look around found 3 more in a tree to the west. Decoys deployed and a quick woods nap, the birds sounded off, drummed a bit and moved about shock gobbling at everything in the swamp. Flew down to the point and the three hens joined him where he paraded about for them. Gave those ladies my best and one decided she had enough of me and came into the decoys, just mad as scorned hen could be. The tom followed shortly and was downed with a load of XX6's. Nice set of 1.25" even hooks on him.

Scouted last night and came up empty. Decided to let that bottom sit for another year and went to a farm that I have seen  hens on and heard gobbles during preseason. Setup in the rain, no blind and just rain gear. Decoys deployed again and another short woods nap, this time a little less comfortable. NO limb gobbling, heard a very distant gobble at 0552 maybe 300 yards off and 200 yards out of bounds from the property boundary. Raining harder, I hear him and another bird through the bottom and up on the field ridge further away but gobbling incessantly. Not much of a day for the crystal call, out comes the aluminum and carbon striker. They instantly gobble. More calling yielded much the same response. Next time they are half the distance and coming, gobbling on their own down the lane. I see the strutter at 65 yards coming in but catch movement at 30 yards on my 2oclock (im righty) its another longbeard but I am not down on the wood yet. He does a 90 degree turn and headed to my decoys at 15 yards. Goes behind a tree and I get on the stock. Out he comes 19 yards but I have to swing and the other bird is now 35 yards walking in full strutt. Lead bird goes behind another tree and I swing to meet him on the other side. Out he steps and down goes the tom, another load of XX6's. Better spurs on this one but one is practically torn off, one measures 1 3/8's and the other 1 7/16. My biggest spur to date, heard or saw him gobble that I know of. Kinda makes me wonder what the other bird was sporting, as his legs were gangrenous upon cleaning.

Thats a wrap, sure was fun. Thanks god, and good luck to all

Offline USMC0331

• Longbeard
Re: NY season
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2022, 09:07:23 PM »
Congratulations

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Offline Yoteduster

• Double Beard
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2022, 10:31:10 PM »
Congtats

Offline bonasa

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2022, 03:33:17 AM »
spur of bird 1

Offline bonasa

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2022, 03:44:55 AM »
 bird 2

Offline OJR

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2022, 10:26:58 AM »
Good deal, Congratulations!

Offline Turkeybutt

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2022, 12:59:11 PM »
Nice hooks! Congratulations!

Offline bonasa

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2022, 04:44:18 PM »
Thank you all

Offline Vintage

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2022, 05:56:27 PM »
Nice Hooks

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2022, 06:06:39 PM »
Beauty of a bird there…..
“Solo hunter”

Offline Old Timer

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2022, 08:14:56 PM »
Congrats,nice hooks! Cook em up,enjoy!

Offline JeffC

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2022, 08:20:57 PM »
Congrats on 2 fine Toms
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Offline bonasa

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2022, 08:27:02 PM »
Thank you, yessir , first bird was plucked and frozen whole. Second bird just the breast was plucked and is in the brine and legs discarded as they were inedible due to wounds.

Offline Gooserbat

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Achondroplasiaphobia is real.
    • Gooserbat Game Calls
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2022, 09:16:12 PM »
Congrats
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Offline tomstopper

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2022, 09:17:37 AM »
Congratulations

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk