OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Boy got it done!  (Read 1092 times)

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Boy got it done!
« on: March 26, 2022, 11:52:13 AM »
I am on the sidelines with the one bird the first 10 days rule and youth weekend for our game zone was last weekend. You can hunt youth weekends without tags but have to have them any other time.  I was lazy and had not ordered them for my son so I did so last Sunday.  If they did not come in time we were going to a lease I have in the upstate as this weekend is the youth for there, but if they did come we would hunt my inlaws farm.  Luckily they showed up on Thursday.  We have been fighting a stomach bug in the house for the last week and it finally caught me Thursday and Friday.

I was feeling better last night so I asked the boy if he wanted to hunt, he said sure.  I told him as long as I woke up and could move we would go.  Got up this morning, got to his room, and asked if he was going hunting.  He said yes so I said you better get going then.  We got ready and hit the road.  I wanted to set up in the same spot I killed my bird as there was multiple birds there and I pretty much knew what to expect.  It is a long walk and he did a great job keeping up.

I get us set up and we wait.  We hear a bird start gobbling across the field and cut over from us.  Then a bird way behind us starts gobbling in the pines and another to our right closer but still not on top of us.  I hear something in pines behind us and figure hens.  Next thing something to my left catches my attention and two birds are coming in fast.  I get the boy's hammer back but keep on the safety.  They keep coming and when he says he can see them I take off the safety and remind not to touch that trigger until you are ready.  I get them to stop and boom, bird down.  Was a lot of fun but it happened really quick.  He did everything he was supposed to do and I am very proud of him.  He is now in the penalty box with me until April 1.  Good luck and be safe!

“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Online Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
Re: Boy got it done!
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2022, 12:07:09 PM »
Nice job, the smile tells the story….
“Solo hunter”

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2022, 02:03:59 PM »
Great story Don. Congrats to him

Offline Jroddc

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2022, 02:52:48 PM »
That’s really great and it’s something the both of you will never forget. Congrats again to both of you Don

Offline JeffC

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2022, 04:41:28 PM »
Congrats to the young man. Great pictures, is that a double beard??
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Offline dirt road ninja

• Double Beard
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2022, 05:26:40 PM »
Cool, congratulations to the both of y’all.