Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Last California Bird

Started by Hayudog, April 30, 2022, 11:48:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hayudog

Walked up the hill in the dark this morning, season ends tomorrow. Figured it would be my last hunt here, we have a wedding to attend tomorrow, and won't get many points for hunting before it.
Not a gobble to be heard this morning. Dead still, and clear.  Didn't figure much would happen. As it started to get light, I ran a few tree yelps, just to see if something was close...nothing. Thinking, nothing to loose, I slipped down a ridge as it was getting more light.  Ran a box fairly loud just trying to strike something. Nothing.
Walked back and sat.  About every ten minutes I'd run a series of calls.  Third run, about 30 minutes in, gobbler cut me off.  One gobble.  About 5 minutes later he came strutting in.  I gave him a minute or so as he beat the poor Jake decoy.  No second bird, so I shot him as he stood on the decoy. 
He was still flopping when a second Tom came from the opposite direction.  He came in and thrashed the dead bird.  Had his way with him, and wouldn't leave.  Took a few pictures, and finally had to move deliberately to get him to leave. 
Doesn't look like an upgrade.  I'll put a tape to him shortly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hayudog

And insult to a load of 9 1/2's, your buddy sends you off with this on your back!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hayudog

55 point bird.  Not an upgrade.

Mountainburd

Congrats on a nice end to the season. Great pics!

RutnNStrutn

Great pics Doug!! Congrats on your second Cali bird.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

WildSpur

Nice.  Good job!

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less