OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Opinions on 12ga O/U turkey shotguns

Started by DMTJAGER, April 29, 2022, 10:14:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DMTJAGER

No particular reason but my LGS has a camo Charles Dailey 204X 12ga 3.5" turkey gun for sale and I was wondering why such guns aren't more popular.
If both barrels can hit to the same POI would strike me as a good gun, but I know little about O/U shotguns having never owned let alone fired one.
I gave it considerable thought and in 30+ years of turkey hunting I can never recall having taken three shots at a bird and can count on one hand how many times I've taken two, so at least to a causal observer, a well set up for turkey hunting a O/U has some potential as a turkey gun.

mcw3734

I thought about an O/U. From what I gathered a few years ago, most do have POI issues between the barrels when shooting tight turkey patterns. But, that's only from what I remember reading. Would like to hear from others who've actually tested out their O/U and compared POA/POI comparisons.

runngun

Over and unders have vertical issues but both barrels "converge" at some point.  Most O/U guns shoot pretty close to point of aim..
Now side by side shotguns are a whole nother world. They have the most issues with horizontal point of impact.

Have a good one
Bo

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

BandedSpur

I shoot a 6 lb Beretta 686UL 12 O/U with an FF3 on a B-Square cantilever rib mount. No issues with POI. I find it to be the perfect turkey gun, but many would not like it's 28" barrels. With no receiver on an O/U, it is shorter than a repeater with 24" barrel.

Tom007

I love my Browning Cynergy Turkey Over-under. Both barrels shoot within a half inch on POA. I use the lower for the long range choke, the upper a more open choke. I like the ability to have the 2 choke/load option. Also, the over-unders are shorter in general. It really is my favorite Turkey gun, and it patterns real well with multiple loads. Good luck...
"Solo hunter"

wchadw

I have a little Yildiz youth 20 I bought on a tax free weekend. It is now my full time turkey gun
It's short, very light and I can run a modified choke for short shots and shoot lead
I have a tight choke that I shoot tss out of if need be.
Pattern spread at 20 in short barrel is nearly identical to spread in tight choked barrel at 40
I run a red dot and the poa/poi is close enough that if I aim for head it does job every time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wchadw

Quote from: mcw3734 on April 29, 2022, 10:43:38 PM
I thought about an O/U. From what I gathered a few years ago, most do have POI issues between the barrels when shooting tight turkey patterns. But, that's only from what I remember reading. Would like to hear from others who've actually tested out their O/U and compared POA/POI comparisons.
My setup is a little different than most I guess. I run tight choke and tss in top barrel and modified and a lead pheasant load that spreads well on bottom.
I use a triangle dot sight. It's sighted "picket on a fence" on tip of triangle for long shots.
For short shots I just cover head with triangle the poi is mid neckish
I haven't missed one since switching to this setup
I run RMR style pretty far forward so I can shoot both eyes open

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DMTJAGER

Thanks for all the well thought out and insightful replies.
I essentially my thinking that a O/U would be a good turkey gun is based partially on for decades how popular O/U's have been for skeet and even trap shooting.

I might have to consider one as my last dedicated turkey gun purchase as one I currently own is seeing little use these days as for no particular reason (it patterns very well) my sons and I all prefer the other two dedicated turkey guns.

Again thanks to all who responded.

DMTJAGER

Quote from: Tom007 on April 30, 2022, 12:52:34 PM
I love my Browning Cynergy Turkey Over-under. Both barrels shoot within a half inch on POA. I use the lower for the long range choke, the upper a more open choke. I like the ability to have the 2 choke/load option. Also, the over-unders are shorter in general. It really is my favorite Turkey gun, and it patterns real well with multiple loads. Good luck...

Wish I could afford one.

Tom007

Quote from: DMTJAGER on May 01, 2022, 11:11:17 PM
Quote from: Tom007 on April 30, 2022, 12:52:34 PM

Wish I could afford one.

Thank god I didn't pay the crazy prices out there for mine. They are selling for too much money, but it is by far my best Turkey gun in performance and functionality....
"Solo hunter"

Ihuntoldschool

The reason they aren't popular is because one barrel shoots above point of aim while the other barrel shoots below your point of aim.  When you factor in the tight, unforgiving patterns provided by most turkey shells/chokes it makes for a less than ideal gun for most people. 

Tom007

Quote from: mcw3734 on April 29, 2022, 10:43:38 PM

Here are the pattern results from my Cynergy showing POA differences between the barrels. I run a 640 Browning Full Strut in the upper barrel, and a 660 Rob Roberts in the lower. Both patterns are really long-range, I like them both. The POA is minimal, I set up the red-dot using the bottom barrel to hit the waddle, dead center. My pattern pics show an X for my aiming point. I have the Browning spreader choke that I install in the upper for close range, 25 and under shots using Fed 3rd degree. It's awesome for these shots. No issues with POA with this gun...
"Solo hunter"