OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: They don't need to gobble to die  (Read 959 times)

Offline FullChoke

• Double Beard
  • Central Minnesota
They don't need to gobble to die
« on: April 28, 2022, 10:09:35 PM »
My season has been busted up this year. Our car started losing it's transmission out on the road returning from a trip to northern Mississippi. It officially perished in the driveway after somehow getting it home. This left us  without transportation for a week while I scoured the ads for a reliable low-mileage vehicle. Finally found a Volvo in great shape and bought it. I took a few days fixing things on it to make it street legal. I was finally able to get back to the woods today. The morning was beautiful with an incredible display of 4 planets aligned in a straight line in the eastern sky. Unfortunately, the turkeys were not impressed with the heavens and kept their opinions completely to themselves. I started running and gunning, trying to rouse one's passion, but was ultimately met with silence. I ran into town for a bite and headed back out for the afternoon festivities. I set up in the same brush pile that I had had the nerve wracking episode a few weeks ago with 5 hens feeding within 10 yards for 20 minutes and not getting busted by any of them.  I camoed up with leaves and sticks and waited. After about an hour, I started hearing a slight sound off of my right shoulder. I cut my eyes as hard as I could and could just make out a dark moving shape coming from behind me. The shape kept coming and I could finally see that it was a gobbler with a pretty decent beard on him. He stopped several times to periscope up his head and check out the field. I saw that his path would put his head behind a tree for a moment. As soon as he went behind it. I raised and swung my gun over to the right and held on the left side of the tree trunk. After what seemed like entirely too long a period, he finally stepped out from the tree and I lit up one of 3Season's #9 TSS handloads and ushered the dearly departed into the loving arms of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. He was rather light at 15.43 pounds, but had a nice 10.5" beard and about 1" curved spurs. As far as I could tell, he had not gobbled all day, but that would not prevent him from being featured as the guest of honor at a dinner celebrating the wild spirit this weekend at Casa de FullChoke.

BTW, I never thought in my lifetime that I would actually drop a gobbler in the trunk of a Volvo for the ride home, but I did! :z-guntootsmiley:

Cheers  ;D ;D

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Offline Kygobblergetter

Re: They don't need to gobble to die
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2022, 12:23:55 PM »
Awesome! Congrats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline zelmo1

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • Take a Newbie Hunting
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2022, 04:09:29 PM »
Nice bro, congrats  :funnyturkey:

Offline paintbrush

• Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2022, 09:00:22 PM »
Congrats on laying the smack down on that longbeard!

Offline xarcher

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2022, 06:19:26 AM »
Better hang on to that Volvo. It’s your lucky turkey meat wagon.

Guns don't kill people.  Guns kill food.

Offline 3seasons

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2022, 08:50:10 PM »
Congrats.  You can get them if they don’t gobble but it sure leaves some emptiness in your heart.  Something about that gobble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2022, 07:55:48 AM »
Great story, congrats
“Solo hunter”