OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Winchester model 37A 20 gauge would it be good for Turkey ?  (Read 2308 times)

Offline bcuda

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
Winchester model 37A 20 gauge would it be good for Turkey ?
« on: March 11, 2022, 10:35:28 AM »
I pulled out my Winchester model 37A 20 gauge yesterday, my dad gave it to me when I was 12 in 1975. It's a 28 inch barrel full choke, when I was a kid my Dad would take me to what they called a Turkey shoot  ( basically a fund raiser where you shoot your shotgun at a target on a post paced off about 20 or 30 yards or so, do a standing shot at a target with about 10 people shooting different targets whoever got the closest to the center of the X on the target usually won a frozen turkey to take home or something else). I won quite a few of these with my 20 gauge more than my fair share for sure, this got me to thinking that it would probably be a good turkey gun yesterday when I had it out cleaning it and reminiscing about all the good times I had hunting with it. would be kind of cool to use it after all these years and take a turkey.

So what are your opinions on this old 20 gauge for turkey hunting ?
It can take a 3" shell but am wondering about running a tungsten 3" shell or not?
Also not to keen on using just the bead on the barrel but don't want to do any
permanent modifications to it that cant be removed any ideas on this ?

« Last Edit: March 13, 2022, 10:38:26 AM by bcuda »

Offline Happy

• Limbhanger
Re: Winchester model 37A 20 gauge would it be good for Turkey ?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2022, 06:55:50 PM »
It would be plenty for turkey. With today's ammo just about any shotgun can be made to be a 30+ yard gun.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2022, 08:23:56 PM »
A standard full choke in a 20 gauge would be .590" at the muzzle.  Most of the screw-in chokes guys are using with tungsten are .555" - .565"         So, I'm thinking TSS 9's would be easy-peasy for your Model 37.  But I'd rather you hear it from a gunsmith than from some random guy on an internet forum.   :icon_thumright:
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Offline EZ

• Double Beard
  • Gobble THIS!!!
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2022, 07:29:17 AM »
Very cool gun. I believe you could make a fine turkey gun out of it. I shot many turkeys with an old Model 12 full choke with 1 1/2oz. 2 3/4" loads. The rest, clear up to present, have been with a fixed full choke 870. Full chokes shoot most shells pretty well, certainly at normal turkey hunting distances.

They have 20 ga. turkey loads from 1 1/4 oz. to 1 5/8 oz. from lead to TSS.

They make snap on fiber optic sights for barrels w/o ribs.

Offline owlhoot

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2022, 12:55:45 PM »
My 37A full choke shoots Federal 3" HW 7's at just over 100 in the ten at 40.

And Federal TSS 9's at 220+. Which is right there with the other Gun/ turkey choke combos I have shot with those same loads.

Offline wv mossy oak

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2022, 09:25:50 AM »
Nice 37A, I would think it would make a fine shooter and an easy carry in the woods. 
"Mountaineers Are Always Free"

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2022, 12:17:35 PM »
Plenty of gun...  probably out to 40 yards, but I would try to keep things within 30 yards...

Personally, I have never used anything but a bead on a gun...  Pattern the gun on paper with some cheap target loads to see where it is shooting and to figure out your hold point (tungston or lead turkey loads will shoot in the same spot).  Shooting a turkey on the ground in good range with a shotgun is not that difficult.

My first choice would be Hevi-shot #6's or #7's...  My second choice would be lead copper or nickle plated #6's.  (Fiocchi Gold pheasant is a nickle-plated shell that patterns great out of my 20 gauge).  But honestly, just about any shell you put in the gun will work if the bird is 30 yards or under....
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Offline Gooserbat

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Achondroplasiaphobia is real.
    • Gooserbat Game Calls
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2022, 10:56:31 PM »
I'll make you a bet.   If you clean the barrel real good and try a good TSS load through that thing, (Fox Trot, Burges Creek, Apex...) It will be any and everything you need out to 50 yards.  (Try me 200/10" and if I'm wrong I'll send you a coupon code for $50 in free calls)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2022, 11:09:07 PM by Gooserbat »
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Offline silvestris

• Longbeard
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2023, 04:03:11 PM »
Nice gun.
“[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer.”  Ken Morgan, “Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Offline guesswho

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Gobbler Goober
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2023, 10:10:18 AM »
My Uncle gave me one a long time ago.   I pulled it out and killed my first of the year last year with it.   Used Foxtrot #9’s.   Shot good on paper, and in the field. 
« Last Edit: January 22, 2023, 03:59:35 PM by guesswho »
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Offline Ranger

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2023, 05:44:06 PM »
Have one that's a shorter barrel but has a Sumtoy .562 sticking out the end of it. Hasn't seen the woods yet but the patterns are what you'd expect, 270-300 in a 10" circle at 40.
"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough