OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: turkey was in the pine tree  (Read 6667 times)

Offline BABS9

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: turkey was in the pine tree
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2019, 05:50:00 PM »
Not trying to be a smart a$$ but why you got up to move knowing you had a bird at 60 yards on the roost is beyond me. That close you 100% would hear him fly down. I have seen multiple times where birds stay up in the roost later on rainy days. He would have come down sooner or later. One bird I shot opening day a few years ago didn’t fly down until almost 2 hours after what they normally would. Rainy day. He gobbled once time on the limb and that was it. I knew he was there and waited him out. Eventually flew down for a 40 yard shot. PATIENCE!

Offline Manoflaw

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2019, 07:15:35 PM »
He probably stayed up in the tree because he heard you approaching in the dark. Either way you have to have way more patience than that, 6:30 is way to early to give up or make a move when your that close to the roost and haven't identified a fly down.

Agreed

Offline Prospector

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2022, 07:18:16 AM »
 Years ago something very similar….. and ,yes, late season. Actually roosted the bird. Tucked in close. 1-2 early gobbles then silence. I called a few times. The morning dragged on and I heard nothing more… finally, lost patience and got up…. Just as he sailed down and landed right in front of me. Saw me, did the touch n go, and was gone… he finally decided to “check” on that lonely little hen but I needed 30seconds more patience and I would have had a shot. If I recall it was over 2 hrs after normal fly down. My theory is he was a wary old bird waiting on the hen to show herself and he finally lost patience but a few seconds AFTER I did…. Lol, beards sure look thicker and longer on birds that get away…..
In life and Turkey hunting: Give it a whirl. Everything works once and Nothing works everytime!