OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Staying with the flock  (Read 791 times)

Offline Kygobblergetter

Staying with the flock
« on: April 28, 2022, 12:30:00 PM »
I was able to keep up my streak of good luck this morning. My dad and I headed back to Indiana public this morning and found a couple of birds with a whole lot of hens. They didn’t want to gobble much at all on the limb and never gobbled unless it was at my owl hoot. Once they hit the ground that changed a little bit and I was able to keep them fairly fired up by calling back and forth with their hens. Pretty soon after they hit the ground I got the boss hen going good and responding a lot. I thought she was going come and bring the whole flock but she ended up staying put and just calling like crazy. I tried to maneuver several times and got pretty close but the birds never would break and close any ground towards us. They had all but lost interest in my calling so we made a move to get a little closer and began gobbling at them. They instantly responded and got pretty fired up gobbling back at us and seemed to close some ground before hanging up again. They were just out of sight for a half hour or so before I finally could see the top of a fan. Both birds were under 40 yards but just over the hill and through so much thick stuff that I just never felt comfortable pulling the trigger. I let them drift off just a little and crawled to the edge of the hill. I called to confirm they were still close and they hammered definitely in range. I eased up behind a tree and could see one of the longbeards at 35 yards in full strut. I got my sight settled and called but he just gobbled and wouldn’t raise his head. After he gobbled he turned and kept strutting but facing straight away from me. After about 30 seconds of this I called again and he gobbled but this time left his head sticking out and I took the shot. I’ve been on a really lucky streak lately and I’m not complaining one bit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline paintbrush

• Longbeard
Re: Staying with the flock
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2022, 09:02:39 PM »
Nice going! Congrats!

Online 3seasons

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2022, 09:03:26 PM »
You’re torching them, keep at it.  Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline zelmo1

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • Take a Newbie Hunting
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2022, 04:33:40 AM »
You are a killer bro, nice work. Congrats