Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Am I Crazy??

Started by JeffC, April 13, 2022, 11:55:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JeffC

So season starts in 5 days...just ordered new gun..went out with 12g and ran a few shells thru both chokes, not happy with either choke or shell at 40. So begged and pleated my case to the boss, she allowed me to burn my 2035 Christmas and birthday gifts as my "have to have now" gift. Turned 60 a few months ago, want to make things easier on me, so went Franchi Affinity 3 20g and being old and having eyes that are going down hill, picked up a Holosun 507 green dot. Wasnt able to get Monday permit for area I wanted in MD, so I will be scrambling to get gun sighted in my next Sat. Not like waiting to last minute..CRAZY..pick up gun Friday, after running over to Jersey to scout.. wish me luck. 
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Muzzy61

Good luck. That's a sweet set up. I'm in the market for a new gun after the season and your gun and set up it what I've been looking at.

JeffC

Why not build another 410, now that you christened that 1, build a semi auto 410.

lacire

Nothing like having a new gun, good luck. And since you burned up so many Christmas and birthday gifts don't forget the new sling, gun oil, 20ga. bore snake, and gun case too.  :TooFunny:

JeffC

I have all that stuff, have a real sweet Browning pump, killed a bunch of pheasant, quail and chucker's with. Wife did bring that up, but just like Larry Potterfield says, "how many shoes does 1 lady need". 

lacire

Quote from: JeffC on April 13, 2022, 09:23:53 PM
I have all that stuff, have a real sweet Browning pump, killed a bunch of pheasant, quail and chucker's with. Wife did bring that up, but just like Larry Potterfield says, "how many shoes does 1 lady need". 

Yah, the women always seem to understand the one more pair of shoes analogy.

lacire

Good luck scouting .......... at 60 you start slipping so as a reminder "it's new gun day" so don't forget to pick it up.

Muzzy61

Quote from: lacire on April 13, 2022, 10:32:05 PM
Quote from: JeffC on April 13, 2022, 09:23:53 PM

Yah, the women always seem to understand the one more pair of shoes analogy.

My wife and i have an understanding that has worked for 30 years for us.  She can never have too many shoes and I can never have too much hunting stuff.....

Spladle160

Yes, you're crazy. New guns, chokes, load testing... These are the things we should have done in late summer or mid winter. But no, we put them off until we get all worked up and excited a few weeks prior to opening morning and buy something we almost never need and that implementing late probably hurts our chances. What's the good news? Well if you can call it good news most of the rest of us fools are right there with you. I know I sure am!

JeffC

Didn't make it scouting, that's 1 1/2 hr trip to the East, gun was 1 1/2 North West, may sneak over tomorrow morning. But,  new toy is in the house, 1/2 the weight of my 12g, but its a lot of plastic.. have new sight, no mounting bracket yet. 2 of the 6 boxes of shells have arrived, and found some 3" steel shells on a shelf at Cabela's, I can use them to get sighted in once mount gets here. Will run 1 round of the different shells thru gun before deciding on what shell gets used. Monday I have to call and see if I can get into WMA that requires a reservation for next Saturday. If its booked up will be heading to Jersey next Monday..

Spladle160

Well being crazy came back to bite me Saturday. I had not truly patterned/sighted in my gun since I had to replace the fastfire 3 on it. I have a laser 12ga shell that I figured I could bore sight it with and be close enough. I don't know if the chamber isn't concentric to the bore or what. The red dot was dead on the laser 20 yds away even after pulling out the laser and turning it a few times.

So about 7:30 Saturday I have 2 decent Tom's coming by at about 40 yards. They are setting up and strutting but are just kind of walking by. They don't seem like they're sticking around forever so I put my bead on the lead birds head and squeeze one off. To my great surprise the both jump a bit a kind of slowly trot off. that's when I notice the mist coming up off the grass in a long oval about 2/3 of the way to where the birds were. I had missed WAY low. I packed up and shot a target on the way out. 6" low at 10 yards.  :-[

JeffC

Ouch!!that hurts. At least it was clean miss. I had to sight in new gun with fiber optics that came with gun. I have gotten so frustrated with 3 different companies, ordered mount for Holosun, 3 weeks no mount. Tried 2 other places, still no mount, hopefully 4 time is the charm, Swampfox mount is supposed to be here tomorrow. The things we do for this passion...