turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

A Great Day Afield

Started by michiganoutdoorsman, April 27, 2022, 09:23:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

michiganoutdoorsman

Yesterday was an awesome day to be out hunting. Birds seemed to have really split up since opener. As it started to become lighter out, birds were gobbling in every direction. You could hear a long ways off and it was a peaceful start to the day. My prospect flew down and gave me the slip, working off the far back of the field and disappearing into the next woodlot.

I packed up my decoys and jumped in my truck to head to my uncle's property just down the road. As I'm driving up I see a large flock of birds in the neighbors cornfield. At least 3-4 toms and a bunch of hens.

I pulled in and grabbed a single decoy and my .410 and ran through the far end/center of his field. His property is extremely hilly so it worked to my advantage. I made it to the gully and walked the side of the slope trying not to fall from the wet clay from the recent rains we've been getting and the drizzle we got yesterday morning. I made it to where the birds were and began calling to pull them to the woods that he owned.

At this point they were 150-175 yards out and I figured it was a done deal. I began calling and
noticed a tom had completely broke off and was working my way. I'd call, he'd answer. This went on for a couple minutes. I was hidden behind a large oak that must've been 100 years old. When I peeked out I noticed there was actually two toms making their way to me. One tom eventually sensed something was up at 50-60 yards and started working his way back to the flock.

The other tom continued working his way towards me. At this point I had snuck my DSD 3/4 strut jake out so he had a visual of anything resembling a turkey in the woods. It was about 1 yard off the base of the tree with me sitting behind it. Not ideal but I'm running and gunning. I yelped again and this time he hammered, and close. I noticed he was about 10 yards away. I peeked off the left side of the tree and he couldn't see me, but I noticed he was now working to my right. He finally broke the field edge and was now in my uncle's woods. He saw the DSD and instantly spit and drum and went to full strut. I felt like I was in the wide open but he never once acted scared. I had my gun raised at this point and when I figured he would see me I took the shot. I shot him at about 4 steps, my first bird with my .410! Start to finish I think it was about 25 minutes. Running those hills and ridges made me realize how out of shape I am! Not only was it my first bird with my new .410, it was the first tom I have finally fooled at my uncle's place and called in. I have spent years out there cutting my teeth on those birds. I still swear they're the smartest birds I have ever hunted.

Sorry for the long read, I just wanted to paint a picture of how awesome my hunt was today! It truly was one of the most epic days I've had afield turkey hunting.

Turkeybutt

Congrats! I know you are extremely proud and should be! Good looking bird!