OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Interesting patterns with a winchester model 12

Started by Bloody Marc, April 27, 2022, 12:09:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crow

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on April 27, 2022, 04:40:35 AM
Buy some FoxTrot 2_3/4" and never look back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is still what I would do, Foxtrot loads are are put together right and are safe for your gun.
Read some of Mike's "Spring Creek Calls" old threads on shooting these in his old model 12.

I've shot TSS in several old guns, including thin barreled SXS's from your time period and older, no damage to the chokes or bore in any of them.

as far as your barrel being cut, Fox guns from your time period had 4" long chokes, I don't know what your Winchester had, but it still could of been cut shorter and feel tight but you don't have the full length performance of the original choke, take Chester up on his gunsmiths phone # and call him.

I shoot 1 1/8oz #7.5 hard lead trap loads in the right (close) barrel of an old sxs, it has XXfull chokes and that load will get you just about to 35yds, I doubt you will get to 40yds with it with your choke.

go to Lowes, Home Depot or someplace like that, go to the paint section and get a roll of the contractors paper so you can see what your whole pattern is doing.
Your looking for 100 pellets in a 10" circle as your ethical distance for your gun & load, you owe it to the turkey not to go past that distance and count on the magical golden BB

there's lots of reading in the archives of this forum on patterning and in the lead section of what you can expect out of you gun/load  for pattern yardage.

Sasha and Abby

I also recommend 7.5's at 40 yards and inside.  They will absolutely smoke a bird at that distance. 

Bloody Marc

I'll look into the foxtrot shells but in the meantime how does this pattern look?

Bloody Marc

The unmarked holes were from a second shot with a light game load of 6s just to see what it would do after I marked all the holes from the first shot with a sharpy. So don't pay no mind to anything besides the purdy red spots.

runngun

Don't look too bad  for that particular load.
I shoot T-S-S & Foxtrot ammo from a Very expensive Parker SXS (side by side) with no issues. And I have checked out the inside of my barrel with a bore scope.

Have a good one
Bo

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Bloody Marc

Here is the 6 shot. Looks like it prints a little high and maybe a fuzz right but I'm happy with that I think.

BandedSpur

Quote from: Bloody Marc on May 04, 2022, 06:08:51 PM
Here is the 6 shot. Looks like it prints a little high and maybe a fuzz right but I'm happy with that I think.

Your patterns with 5s and with 6s are fair, but only fair. Perhaps try to find some 2.75" 1&5/8 oz CP, buffered turkey loads in 6s for that gun. They should buy you another 5 yds.