OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Interesting patterns with a winchester model 12  (Read 3163 times)

Offline Bloody Marc

Interesting patterns with a winchester model 12
« on: April 27, 2022, 12:09:59 AM »
Hey guys I recently acquired my dad's Winchester mod 12 and was attempting to pattern it for my first turkey season in 10 years. It's a model 1912 made in 1918 with a full choke 29 inch barrel in 12 gauge. Now I have read that the old full chokes are much tighter than the "full" choke of today. Reason being something to do with over powder card type wad/shell being a looser pattern than modern shot cups blablabla. Anyway, I shot half a dozen lead 1 1/2 oz #4 shot 1260fps loads through it 30 yards and the best I could do was 24 pellets in a 10 inch circle. The rest of the pattern was fairly dense and evenly spread outside the target ring. This didn't make any sense at the time so I tried the only other heavy shell I had for it just to see if it would be different. The second load was a lead 1 1/4 oz load of number 5s 1330fps. This produced a similar doughnut shaped pattern but with significantly more pellets in the 10 inch circle. 74 pellets was my best pattern out of 6 shots. So what I think is happening is my old full choke is too tight for these bigger shot sizes and is causing the shot to be over compressed creating the ultimate shotgunner's excuse. I did some very rough math and it made sense to me but I'm just a meatcutter and we don't do math much. With an average of 136 #4 pellets per oz the math adds up to 12% of the load made it into the 10 inch circle.
With 173 #5 pellets per oz the math says 34% of the load made it into the ring.
With #6 shot having 222 pellets per oz and the trend of 20% better payload distribution and taking into account that the #6 shot has about a 20% higher pellet count than the #5...... me thinks it will keel da bird much more better.
I couldn't find any heavy number 6 loads localy to test my theory so i had to order some yesterday. What do yall think? Am I off my rocker? Is there math, science, voodoo or witchcraft that I missed?

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
Re: Interesting patterns with a winchester model 12
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2022, 04:40:35 AM »
Buy some FoxTrot 2_3/4” and never look back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline lowoctane

• Longbeard
  • “When I die, then I’ll be old.”
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2022, 04:51:51 AM »
 :morning: :welcomeOG:
I am most interested in what yer old Mod 12 puts up with sixes! I inherited my father in law’s 12 but it has a 690 sleeve in it’s business end as it had the choke part blown off with a mud plugged end many years ago. It does pretty well with Nitro 4’s but now the stock has broken at the receiver so it’s sitting in my safe… :camohat:
I’m Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2022, 05:49:52 AM »
This is a 1927 Model 12 fixed full 20ga at 35 yds with FoxTrot Hot Rod #8.5s.

Offline Bloody Marc

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2022, 10:39:59 AM »
Doesn't that tss score your barrel?

Offline crow

• Double Beard
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2022, 02:11:26 PM »
No, not with the correct wads

Offline 457121

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2022, 07:03:59 PM »
Personally I'd never shoot TSS out of vintage shotguns which were designed solely with lead shot in mind. Old shotguns barrels are much thinner than modern barrels made for use with steel shot.

Offline Izzyjoe

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2022, 09:04:30 PM »
Honestly I’d use the #6 shot and 35 yard maximum, but 74 pellets at 40yds will kill! Start with clean dry bore and retest those 6’s again. There’s been a lot of bird clobbered with that same setup.

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2022, 09:25:20 PM »
Personally I'd never shoot TSS out of vintage shotguns which were designed solely with lead shot in mind. Old shotguns barrels are much thinner than modern barrels made for use with steel shot.
My best friend is a gunsmith of 45 years who primarily specializes in Model 12s. He probably owns 20 himself. He’ll tell you flat out that it doesn’t do a thing to the barrel. If you’d like me to message you a number to call and ask him I’d be happy to do that.

Offline Bloody Marc

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2022, 11:43:41 PM »
I'm gonna stick with lead for this gun cause I don't want to risk damaging it. I'm also not willing to spend that much money on Shotgun shells. I figured 74 at 30 yards wasn't terrible but I feel like I can do a lot better than that. I guess we will find out as soon as Remington gets around to shipping me the #6 loads. Thanks for the responses guys! No disrespect as far as the tss is concerned. I'm sure you know what you're talking about but to use that in this gun to me kinda feels like putting a scope on a flintlock. Besides the fact that I cant shake the fear of damaging it. How many field grade guns have you seen with a special order barrel length and a stock from high figured wood? It was too special to somebody for me to want to risk it.

Offline lowoctane

• Longbeard
  • “When I die, then I’ll be old.”
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2022, 04:47:36 AM »
Amen… :camohat:
I’m Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Offline crow

• Double Beard
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2022, 07:31:53 AM »
Are you sure it was a special order barrel and not just a barrel cut down from30 or 32"s, if you lost some or most of your choke that could explain some of your patterns.

Offline BandedSpur

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2022, 07:44:38 AM »
You could also try 7.5s. They have the horsepower to kill to 35 yards and are going to really fill in that 10" circle. I killed a bird a few years ago with my granddad's Iver Johnson (30" full) gun with a handload of 1.5 oz of hard 7.5s for nostalgia's sake. It did 116/10" @ 35 yds. Turned out to be not much of a challenge for the load as I killed the bird at 16 yds.

Offline Bloody Marc

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2022, 09:37:56 AM »
Crow, judging by how tight the bore is I would say it's choke is intact. I don't have any real way of knowing for sure though.
Bandedspur, the one and only turkey I have ever killed was with this gun and a number 8 trap load! Well it took me two shots cause that Jake was a lot further away than i could sneak!

Offline Ihuntoldschool

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2022, 01:16:28 PM »
Get you a good trap load with hard shot #7.5, 1 1/8 ounce and you'll be in good shape inside 40 yards.  Much cheaper and won't hurt your old barrel like the harder stuff will.