Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Not my year

Started by JeffC, May 26, 2022, 04:11:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JeffC

Wed. went back where I heard birds on Sat., nothing, not a single gobble. Finally at 7ish walked as deep as I could to private/ public boundary, where I was calling from on Sat. and found a few feathers from a male bird, not a lot, no signs of flopping or fight in leaves. So I hit the road and 4 other areas, nothing, saw a young Tom strutting behind 3 hens, in someone's front yard. Eye opening season, 1st time in 21 seasons Ive been shut out. I need to put the time into scouting next year, need to see the areas where birds have moved too. Need to knock on a few doors to gain access to private. May even founder into another zone in NJ and another state also. Sorry I could not help team score, but still was a fun year getting to see and hear our teams success and failures.

I hope the Team is willing to stay together for another try next year?, I think we had a pretty good showing for a 1st year thrown together group.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

lacire

Well I'm sorry you didn't get a bird this year Jeff but it sure wasn't for lack of effort. But.... now you have the time to get down to some serious wing bone calling in preparation for next season, hope you have an understanding wife  :TooFunny:. Thank you again for stepping up as Captain for the team and if I'm still around and able, count me in for next year.   :icon_thumright:

GobbleNut

Bummer, Jeff.  Sorry to hear things did not go well this spring for you.  I was looking forward to your tales of success.  As a whole, your team has done well this spring.  It has been a pleasure interacting with your group.  Hope everybody has a great off-season and we all return to do it again next spring!   :icon_thumright: :)

JeffC

This was the Tom I watched strut across the road with the 3 hens. Cant help myself, had to make him gobble a few times then as I pull away notice a neighbor out working in her garden, she watched and was listening to me messing with the Tom, gave me a dirty look as I drove by.

lacire

This was the Tom I watched strut across the road with the 3 hens. Cant help myself, had to make him gobble a few times then as I pull away notice a neighbor out working in her garden, she watched and was listening to me messing with the Tom, gave me a dirty look as I drove by.
[/quote]

Some people just don't like listening to turkey's gobble....

Muzzy61

We have all had years like that Jeff. Makes the anticipation of next year even stronger. Thanks for taking on the Captain role this year, count me in for next year if the good lord is willing.

HillclimberWV

Tag soup is always tough to swallow but at least you got to get out there. Good job on the captain roll it was very much appreciated.

Spellnj3

You hunted hard Jeff.   Next year will be different.   Let's keep the team together for sure!!!

JeffC

So while I drive hour 1/2 to be frustrated, local flock wandered thru my yard...sure their were more birds by the amount of scratching I found.