OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Winchcester Longbeard XR  (Read 3743 times)

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: Winchcester Longbeard XR
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2022, 09:47:48 AM »
I've shot several in 12 and 20 gauge with no issues with them. Killed gobblers this past spring with them.  Sorry some of you are having problems with the shells.

Offline owlhoot

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2022, 11:11:17 PM »
They will kill when they work right. Just hope they keep on working for you Greg.
 Only real problem I had was moving around 10" cores, which I thought was my shooting. Put the red dot on and same thing. Two guns, five chokes. Some odd shaped egg and elongated patterns with 5's. But they shot tight patterns.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2022, 01:30:49 PM »
This is one I shot in my 1187 a couple of years ago, the primer seemed to go off bu the powder did not. The end ended up mis-shapped as you see and the crimp was gone and this waxy area and all the shot remained. I contacted them and they refunded my money. I have 2 other boxes I have been using that I got at the same time and have had no problems with them.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2022, 03:56:28 PM by Sir-diealot »
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Online ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2022, 12:16:12 PM »
Longbeards are the new Lesters: “It usually works.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline owlhoot

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2022, 06:54:02 PM »
Longbeards are the new Lesters: “It usually works.”

:TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

Offline the Ward

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2022, 07:19:09 PM »
Ha ha! That’s hilarious! Never saw that before!

Offline crow

• Double Beard
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2022, 11:08:38 PM »
 :TooFunny:

Offline jhoward11

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2022, 10:38:40 AM »
Maybe I'm the lucky one, but I have not had any issues with the LB's. Gotta be frustrating for those that have had trouble. Is it a certain size? I've been shooting 3"- #5's for several years now and not had any issues. I may be the loner on this thread but I would have to say they have been a great shell for me, either sighting in before season, checking new choke tubes, or hunting itself.

Offline Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2022, 09:25:18 PM »
Maybe I'm the lucky one, but I have not had any issues with the LB's. Gotta be frustrating for those that have had trouble. Is it a certain size? I've been shooting 3"- #5's for several years now and not had any issues. I may be the loner on this thread but I would have to say they have been a great shell for me, either sighting in before season, checking new choke tubes, or hunting itself.

I'll jump in so you're not the loner.

I shot Longbeard XRs out of my Super X3 for several years. 3 1/2" shells in 4, 5 and 6.  Killed patterning paper AND turkeys with all 3 shot sizes.  Never a failure to pop your eyeballs on 30" paper.  Never a failure to totally annihilate a turkey. 

If I'd ever go back to a modern 12 gauge and lead, it'd be the SX3 and LBXRs.  Not even a question.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.