OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Advice Needed - Franchi Affinity 3 20ga Compact, Sumtoy .562, Apex Ninja 8.5’s  (Read 1830 times)

Offline TalknTurkey

I finally got a chance to shoot my new Franchi Affinity 3 20ga compact, but I’m not sure of the patterns it’s throwing. It was shooting somewhat erratic and the pattern does not seem as even as I was expecting. However, there was some wind so that could explain some of the erratic behavior. I’m wondering if the choke is too tight though and causing the gaps in the pattern. This was with a Sumtoy .562 and Apex Ninja 8.5’s at 30 yds. I’ve not experimented much with different gun/choke/load combos, so thought I would ask for feedback. Thanks in advance!

Offline Gmed

A few suggestions….the 24” Affinity and Ninja is exactly what I use. I use a .562 Indian Creek but really not a lot of difference in patterns as I have a Sumtoy .562 in another Franchi. I get 280-300 in a 10” and 160-175 in the 20” or over 90% of the pattern inside a 20” circle at 40 yards, not 30. For 30 yards, that’s probably about your average pattern….
First - get you a bigger piece of paper…24”X36” or so so you can see what your entire pattern looks like. It looks to me like your pattern is to the left on the paper you used. 
Second - shoot it at 40, not 30. The pattern will disperse quite a bit over the extra 10 yards and will give you a better idea of what you can expect.
Finally, my gun really likes a clean barrel as opposed to dirty. Yours may be different, but I would try me a 40 yard shot on a BIG sheet of paper with a squeaky clean barrel and see what ya get.
This is the last shell I shot to zero a red dot. Barrel was a little dirty so pattern is not as good as with a clean barrel. It’s a little bit left as well, but I moved red dot after the shot.

Offline Bamaslayer757

I tend to like a more open pattern at 40 due to missing a lot using a .555 IC in the past. I just got 26” franchi and went with the Trulock non ported .585 based off patterns here on the forum. To say it’s the definition of bad  would be an understatement. I’ve killed 2 this year so far in Bama and Tennessee and one at 23 yards where it blew through a sapling. I’ve passed 4 birds in the 60-70 yd range as I’m typically a 40 and in guy. The other I seriously misjudged the distance, and I sent it after not being able to range it. 72 yards stone dead. I’d never take that knowingly as I had thought it was mid 50s due to terrain. Check out the patterns for the .585…I use apex 9s and ninja 8.5s

Offline SumToy

• Double Beard
    • sumtoycustoms
That looks about normal for the short stuff.    You can open up the choke and move some out the hot core into the 20,
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA