OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

20 gauge raptor youth shoots terrible

Started by magnumgray, April 24, 2022, 05:15:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magnumgray

I would not trust this gun combo beyond 30 yds ..... carlson Long beard choke   #5 and #6 long beards ,,, and heavy weight #7 ,,,, all refuse to pattern well ..... It's going out he door ....I don't even trust it with TSS...... I'm Going back to the Tristar O/U and #7 hevi shot

strutstopper

It'll shoot 260-270 with BOSS 9s. I use the same setup.

squirrel_hunter

My wife's tristar raptor 20ga youth model with a longbeard xr choke and xr 5 shot shoots good. I am going to try a patternmaster anaconda turkey. 570. See how it likes the xr 5 shot.

beagler

My daughter shoots a Raptor and it throws  great patterns using a regular Carlson's turkey choke and Federal Heavyweight #7's.
Never Misses

randywallace

Quote from: strutstopper on April 25, 2022, 12:44:03 PM

Where the heck are the rest of the pellets going?  I shoot Boss9s out of an 870 compact and get 410-430.

sswv

friend of mine has one with the 26" barrel.  POA  POI was so bad he sent it back to have the barrel "adjusted". when he got it back there was no difference. he made some wedges for the rib and straightened it himself the best he could. tried a few different chokes and loads and gives it credit for being the worst shooting shotgun he has ever owned. with all that being said, I know another fellow with two of them and loves them.  I guess there's a bad apple in every barrel.  good luck with yours

strutstopper

Quote from: randywallace on April 29, 2022, 12:03:38 PM
Quote from: strutstopper on April 25, 2022, 12:44:03 PM

Where the heck are the rest of the pellets going?  I shoot Boss9s out of an 870 compact and get 410-430.

How tight of a choke? I'm running a 568. I'm sure I could drop down to a 555 and really up my numbers.