OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: How to repair cracked 11-87 forend?  (Read 1526 times)

Offline mcw3734

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
How to repair cracked 11-87 forend?
« on: April 23, 2022, 05:13:14 PM »
While hunting in the rain recently, I noticed a color difference revealing a long, thin crack in the forend of my very lightly used Remington 11-87 Sportsman 20-gauge. Just bought it a few months ago, major bummer. Also, there is small crack on the front of the forend underneath the barrel.

I'm looking online for a replacement, but it looks to be a tough find. In the meantime, can anybody suggest how I can repair, or at least stabilize, the crack so the gun remains usable until a new part is found?

Also, could I have caused that by screwing the magazine cap too tight?

Offline runngun

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
Re: How to repair cracked 11-87 forend?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2022, 11:57:58 PM »
I don't think that you caused the crack by tightening the cap. Could have been moisture though. You should be able to get one online.
If you are able to spread the crack just a very little bit, put some "Gorilla Glue" clear, in the crack with a tooth pick. Wipe off excess, and let it dry. Some of it dries in as little as 15 minutes. It will be all good then.

Have a good one
           Bo

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Offline lowoctane

• Longbeard
  • “When I die, then I’ll be old.”
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2022, 07:40:35 AM »
Had identical cracks on my 11-87 forearm. They’re stress cracks and both areas need to be relieved of the pressure causing them or they will continue to break. Rem didn’t address these properly IMHO… :camohat:
I’m Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Offline Izzyjoe

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2022, 09:47:23 AM »
I have repaired a lot of forends, without actually looking at it it’s hard to say. At the end of the crack towards the receiver you drill a small hole right down the middle of the crack as deep as you can, and glue in a small wooden dowel with gorilla glue, make sure to pump the glue into the hole good to get a good bond. You’ll want use a dowel same size as the drilled hole, and sand a flat spot on the dowel to allow for air to escape, and just leave it long then cut it off when the glue sets.

Offline Old Timer

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2022, 05:48:20 PM »
Seems to be a common occurrence. Got one in my 1100. I like the gorilla glue idea. Keep us posted.

Offline DMTJAGER

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2022, 07:53:07 PM »
Try here:
https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/product-configurator

Offline mcw3734

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2022, 11:46:18 PM »
Try here:
https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/product-configurator

Very cool, thank you!!

I think I'll try the glue thing later this week to hopefully stabilize it for the rest of the season, then look at the Boyds Gun Stock as a long term option.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2022, 09:20:18 PM »
Be careful if you decide to shoot it, had the fore stock on a gun break in my hand when I shot and I had to get 6 stitches.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline diyj98

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2022, 07:42:35 PM »
The cyanoacrylate glues (Super Glue, etc) will work, but I've had excellent luck with Elmer's Wood Glue.  I think wood glue is better for large repairs.