Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Killed a sneaky one

Started by Mountainburd, April 23, 2022, 02:26:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mountainburd

It was a great day in the woods. I heard a lot of birds gobbling on the roost but all the gobbling stopped by about 615. Decided to remain stationary in an area that I know the birds have been working into as the morning goes on. I called in a hen and five Jakes around 0730 and watched them strut all around me.

Around 8am I was stretching my legs with my gun on my lap after making some calls and there's a bird in full strut 30 yards away. Snuck in and never made a sound. Luckily he stayed in strut and when he turned away from me, I was able to raise the gun up and get on him. I kept making calls with my mouth call but he would not break out of strut. I finally had to shoot him in semi full Strut but knocked him down.

I've really had to change my tactics more this year with being stationary and even mixing in some decoys some days. Not my preferred run and gun style but you gotta adjust sometimes.

He's a smaller bird and not an upgrade. 16 lbs, 8 inch beard and 3/4 inch spurs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mountainburd

Pic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thebody

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth.  Mike Tyson

Well He shoulda armed himself if he's gonna decorate his saloon with my friend.  Will Munny

TrackeySauresRex

"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

RutnNStrutn

Nothing wrong with that!! Congrats brother!!

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

suburbhunter

Twowithone

09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

Will

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

Bclarke

WildSpur

Good job!

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less