OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: TSS vs. Lead Diameters  (Read 1439 times)

Offline Turkeyman

• The Boss Gobbler
TSS vs. Lead Diameters
« on: April 26, 2022, 03:08:39 PM »
I didn't really know where to post this so I did so on this forum.

I realize that TSS throws a superior pattern due to the number of pellets but, for those of you that may have done so, have you ever compared effective pattern diameters at various distances...good copper plated lead e.g. LBs or such vs. TSS? Discounting any flyers, are your TSS patterns a smaller diameter than comparable lead? If so, what are those diameters for both at the various distances?

Offline mightyjoeyoung

• Longbeard
Re: TSS vs. Lead Diameters
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2022, 02:24:16 PM »
I think more important than pattern diameter is the fact that TSS responds more to minute choke diameter changes. A couple thousandths one way or the other can .ake a BIG change in a beautiful killing pattern or a pattern with holes you you could fly a turkey through and is as strung out as a vegas h00ker. Lol.  I find with the right choke TSS can be forgiving up close, but the small diameter and high density of the shot keeps the pattern together further, even without buffering the shot load which is a virtual requirement with lead and even the lighter tungsten alloys.  I also see slight pattern size differences depending on what gun it's coming out of.  410 patterns (mine anyways) are almost always basketball size at 20 and max about 24" at 40. My 20s seem to be tighter at 20 but about 30" at 40.  Anecdotal, ues, but thats my observations...
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

Offline runngun

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
Re: TSS vs. Lead Diameters
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2022, 12:08:10 AM »
I cut a Few of the Federal shells open,  because well I just had to see what they looked like.  I was really surprised to find that they had "FLAX SEED" for the buffer. That's exactly what Niro Ray loaded with his HEVI'SHOT. I showed it to a buddy of mine,  and he said "WTH"!!! Then I had to explain it to him.  This was the #7s and #9s. I think that they use both shot sizes, to hold each other together.  That's why you see the high pellet count in the 10.

Have a good one
Bo

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.