OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Share you in-between shots cleaning method when patterning

Started by DMTJAGER, April 22, 2022, 01:16:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DMTJAGER

Was wondering if there is an established SOP for cleaning your barrel as well as choke for in-between shots when pattern testing as well as zeroing your dedicated turkey gun and could those who do clean in-between shots when pattern testing share with me your procedure and do you you usually use dry patch or wet them with some type of cleaner.

Thanks Art.

lunghit

I use a boresnake and give two passes between each shot. Because a turkey choke is extremely tight I use a size smaller snake for the gun I'm actually using. My 20 gauge gun I'll use a 28 gauge snake. Still does a perfect job but passes through much easier. For the first pass I wrap a cotton cleaning patch soaked with a bore cleaner around the bristles of the snake. Then on the second run I remove the patch and pull the dry snake through again. When I get home I give the barrel a good thorough cleaning. 
"There's only so many spring mornings in a man's lifetime"

lowoctane

Bore snake for the gun and brass brush and cleaner for the choke... :camohat:
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

DMTJAGER

Thank you both for your replies.
I have and will use both.

SumToy

Start with a clean oil free barrel.    You can get a few shots before cleaning most the time.   Now if you play with different loads or different chokes I would clean every shot to keep the playing field the same.   :z-twocents:
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Tom007

2 passes of bore snake in-between each shot is my mop.
"Solo hunter"

rakkin6

I have two turkey guns I sight in so in between shots I let the barrel cool since I am alternating. Then I run a bore snake with a little bit of Bore Tech solvent on it between each shot. My barrels have both been polished. And at the beginning of the year I use some Kroil and JB's to clean it up, then I use some Bore Tech Shotgun Blend with a scrub it and patch it.

I am super anal retentive about my guns (blame it on being in the Army for 23 years lol). You obviously can use whichever solvents you prefer I.E. Hoppes, Bore Tech etc. Just make sure you start with a really clean barrel and run a snake down it and you should be good.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Greg Massey

The guys on Blue Collar Outdoors , said they cant see the difference in all of their pattern testing , between clean barrel or dirty barrel... Doesn't really matter ....

DMTJAGER

PNWturkey

What do you mean by in between shots cleaning?   :)

I never clean my barrel until the end of the season when I clean the entire shotgun before putting it away until the next season...  YMMV...

sswv

20ga gets a 20ga bore snake between shots....my 30+ year old 12ga turkey gun gets a couple rounds of cheap shells just before season and then it's off to the woods. it has always shot better fouled than bright and clean.  both are 21" 870's.