Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Another state crossed off the list!!

Started by RutnNStrutn, April 21, 2022, 11:34:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RutnNStrutn

This afternoon I got my first Tennessee gobbler!! He was also the first bird off my property now that I'm a Tennessee resident.
I've seen this gobbler 3 days in a row following 2 hens. He would never gobble, and never come to my calls. He would just follow his hens. Yesterday I watched as he and his hens worked their way to the roost. Gambling that they'd roost in the same general area, I set up there today.
I haven't been using a decoy much this season, but based on this gobbler's behavior, I decided to put decoys out. I set out my DSD's, a feeding hen, upright hen and a 3/4 strut jake.
As I had hoped for, the hens and gobbler used the same general route as before, but they showed up early. The hens were in the lead, and the gobbler was straggling behind. The hens skirted the dekes and passed by on the other side of them. When the gobbler showed up, he stopped, periscoped his neck up, then went into full strut and took off running straight at the jake. He hit the decoy like an All American linebacker, nearly knocking the deke over.
While he was preoccupied with bullying the decoy, I was lining up my shot. The load of 20 gauge Apex Small Town Blend TSS devastated him at 20 yards.
20 lbs 10 ozs
11-1/2" beard
1-1/8" & 1-1/16" spurs
Score - 65.5

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Tom007

Way to go my friend, great pics of a fine bird.....
"Solo hunter"

Mountainburd

Great bird Rut! Way to get it done, especially on your new property. Nice upgrade.

eggshell

Will

Dr Juice

JeffC

Congrats on taking a fine Tom off your own piece of dirt!!
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

RutnNStrutn

Thanks guys!!! 

TrackeySauresRex

:z-guntootsmiley: WTG JimBo! Congrats on that Tennessee Tom
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Thebody

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth.  Mike Tyson

Well He shoulda armed himself if he's gonna decorate his saloon with my friend.  Will Munny

g8rvet

Awesome.  I love it when a plan works!  Nice pics and bird.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

RutnNStrutn

Thanks guys!!

suburbhunter

Hayudog

Looks like a good season my friend. Keep up the good work.